Wednesday, July 21, 2021

The Tiny Ten 2...a big brother.

Last July I came across a determined young angler trying to fool a resident wild brookie from a CT. stream. The young lady which I found out was only three years old. She showed me that Tenkara fishing can be done effectively by anyone. That little angler convinced me to purchase the Tiny Tenkara rod. Since then I have fished the Tiny Ten many times and have enjoyed it so much. Although I felt the need to go longer, something that would allow me to reach out in certain areas of the stream that were not available to me with the shorter rod. So I went out and purchased the Tiny Ten 2.

The Tiny Ten is a 5' rod and the Tiny Ten 2 is a 8' rod. The extra 3' makes for a longer reach which at times makes the difference between catching those wary fish. The Tiny Ten 2 weighs in at 2oz. It's crafted with a cork handle which I think is a must on any rod. It's action is soft which I compare to my fiberglass rods. I have it rigged with a furled leader of 6', which I have ordered a 8' furled leader, thought is it may work better with the longer rod. I have fished the Tiny Ten 2 on four outings and have found it to be a pleasure. Keep in mind my knowledge of other rods is zero so a comparison I can't give. But for what I paid and what it does I'd say it is hard to beat.

 

 

A typical stream where I cast the Tiny Ten 2.
 


 These wild brookies are a blast on this rod. And it shows that if I can catch them with a Tenkara rod anyone can. This is simplicity, that would have escaped me if it weren't for that little angler I met on the stream a year ago...thanks Nattie.

 

12 comments:

  1. An 8’ tenkara rod is a favorite on NE small streams for me. So versatile under the heavy cover. And fish of all sizes are a blast. I thank Ken Elmer for introducing tenkara to me. Enjoy your new tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill/Tully
      Thanks
      Bill it takes some getting used to. Going from 5' glass rods to an 8' rod is quite an adjustment. I do enjoy fishing tenkara.

      Delete
  2. Alan,
    I was wondering when you were finally going to get one. :-) I fish Tenkara about 80% now. I have 3 Tenkara rods and 3 Seiryu rods. Seiryu in the cork-less one with the wider blank handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill in those NM streams it must be a joy fishing tenkara. Trout in that 4-7" range are awesome on those rods.

      Delete
  3. Welcome aboard! A tenkara rod is a wonderful tool for small streams; simple, yet affective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Davis
      Thanks
      Tom your spot on. I love simplicity.

      Delete
  4. The Japanese have been fishing this way for thousands of years. There has to be something to it. Had I known about the Tiny Ten when I bought my 3wt, I would have gone that way instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark that's a long time. What i like is the fact they have kept it that way and did not try to complicate it.

      Delete
  5. I have a 9ft Tenkara rod that I have been using with a 6ft furled leader and about 3 feet of tippet. Great for bow and arrow casts and for drifting flies into tight spots. Stowed in a small backpack that I carry while biking, it has allowed me to explore new places that are far from the road and for making quick stops into places where parking is an issue. I have a number of places where the access is so limited that it would not be worth driving and parking but are fun if I can plan a bike loop that hits several of them.

    I have encountered tight spots where the Tiny Ten would be helpful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn the small rods are perfect for bow and arrow casts. The compact small size makes it easy to pack away. The Tiny Ten is just 10" when it's in it's case.
      Fishing has been great lately.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    It is so easy for individuals who don't even fish to get a thrill landing a trout or even a warmwater species using either Tenkara. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill it's like fighting a much larger fish. Tailor the tackle to the fish you have chosen to catch.

      Delete