Sunday, July 18, 2021

What it takes....

What inspires us? I can't speak for you as to what inspires you, but I can for me. I'll try to give you some of what inspires me to spend time outdoors, to walk a woodland trail. To find a small stream and walk it's edges. To fly fish, and to fly tie. Part of this is in my DNA for lack of a better reason and part comes from the books I read. The book pictured here is a fine example of what can inspire me. It is about a fly fishing club located in Connecticut. It tells of the old days as well as modern days of a group of anglers and the stories each has contributed. In it's pages are numerous paragraphs of the brook, the Housatonic river and the fish and flies associated with the angling club.
 

 

From a page of Whoops, For The Wind....this is what small stream brook trout fishing is. The fly was tied not for any insect that may hatch on that stream, instead it is tied from the thought I had as to what may cause a brook trout to take my offering.
 

A lovely slick run on a small stream in Autumn. A sight as this inspired me to craft a fly that not only represents the place and season but also may tempt a wild jewel to take it.
 

I can see Autumn in these flies. Can you?
 

Flowers gone to seed, little puff balls...they to can inspire.
 

A different color perhaps but none the less they are "puff balls"
 

And one of the greatest inspirations of all is bringing of natures finest creations to hand.
 

 

14 comments:

  1. Brk trt, nice post. Fishing clubs have their places good and bad. A good friend of mine belongs to a fishing club here in the Berkshires which its on private land & waters called "The Alford brook club" in Alford mass. Its a Dandy of a club steeped in history. The club house which is an actual house was built in the mid 1700's
    I've been there and fly fished it many times, and even had a chance to become a member. Looking at the big picture then, and long story short, its timing wasn't right. But who knows someday, maybe I'll have another chance to reconsider....Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY
      Thanks
      Phil The Alford Brook Club sounds very much like The Walton Club. Like many of the clubs in the Catskill's they are full of history. I very much enjoy reading about them and the angling that took place in the 1930's and such. I understand timing and if presented with membership I hope you become a member.

      Delete
  2. Fishing clubs are a good thing. They create friendships that last. They share experiences. They teach safety. I belonged to the Amador Fly Fishers for several years. Even though I'm no longer a member I still try to help out occasionally with items for their monthly raffles and when they have their yearly classes for nubbies, I try to stop by and say hi to some old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I remember you talking about Amador FF in your blog. These organizations do good things that are lost in the national picture.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alan

    As a member of two angling clubs, I would say that they are generally a good thing for the river and its inhabitants. Hutton Rudby Fly Fishing Club have been commended by the Wild Trout Trust for their proactive approach to managing our valuable natural resources on the little river Leven.

    Take care & stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair good things from a like minded group of guy's. I to commend your angling club.

      Delete
  4. I haven't participated in a fishing club since I was a kid. That reminded me of a bunch of effort that went into tree planting and stream rehabilitation and left me wondering how it all looks today. While it is now too far from home to go check, a quick look at Google Earth reassured me that the hillside field along the stream where we planted trees is currently well forested. It would be cool to go back there one day and see if there is still a salmon and steelhead run there in the fall and spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn those efforts made by you many years ago continue to benefit that stream. As far as the salmon/steelhead runs they may have been impacted in some form but with out your clubs efforts we know that only bad things would have happened.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Those autumn flies are really special and the puff balls could attract bluegill as well as trout. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill those puff balls do catch blue gills. I've had a few days of awesome fishing with them.

      Delete
  6. Alan, a fly for the season. What a treat. I like the seagull on the cork too. All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John we are in the warm season and the flies reflect it. I can't remember what the seagull cork was planted in.

      Delete
  7. Your original flies are fantastic.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin I appreciate that.

      Delete