Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Tradition"

I84 going into PA, a fog bank.


One of the highlights of my year is the time we make our first trip to Pennsylvania to scout out the deer woods. My son and I have been doing this for 25 years now and its now one of the traditions we share together.

On this trip we purchased our hunting license, visited a PA. rifle range to sight in our rifles, we will do this again as the season nears, you want to make sure your on. We then visit a few places that have special food items found here in PA. With the necessary tasks compleated we head into Penn's Woods to the area we have hunted deer for a quarter century together, most of those years prime venison was harvested, and all of those years have produced some of my finest memories.

Special food items. A great place.

Access to Penn's Woods

My son

Walk all the way to the top, turn left at the tree line, walk in about three quarters of a mile, and thats where I'll be at 5am, the Monday after Thanksgiving.


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the traditions BrkTrt. I miss those PA hunting camp days but in one more week I will be in Archery camp on the NJ side of the DWG for my 33 season - only missed a few when I was in the Army and when the kids were born. Can't wait.

    Passinthru Outdoors Blog - Sharing the Passion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deer hunting is the one activity I love more than trout fishing. I can't wait for my son to be old enough to hunt with me and start our own traditions.

    That looks like beautiful country.

    Good luck this season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is wish you guys only the best of luck and a safe hunting season. Thank you for sharing the tradition and i look forward to the reading about the adventure in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. been out a few times with the bow this year. not much working yet. travel out to olean ny for thanksgiving to hunt with some friends. can not wait dave north haven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.

    To all, a sucessful and safe season.

    More to come.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. May your season be safe and successful. Great to read about a 25 year tradition between father and son. I look forward to establishing those types of traditions with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam, thanks.

    I believe when my son was taking his hunter safty course an instructor once said, hunt with your children and you'll never have to hunt for them.

    There are no stronger bonds formed than the ones that start with family and friends hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a hunter, but I am not anti-hunting. In fact I do love a good piece of venison. Good luck to you!

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your deer hunting entry brings back the great memories of hunting deer with my Dad here in Maine.He's gone now but his love of fishing and hunting is a constant and ever increasing reminder to me of how fortunate I am to be able to go to the woods and waters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a hunter but if you can do something 25 years with your son, it would be priceless. I'm sure you are one of the happiest fathers in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. penbayman, thanks.

    miwa6532, thanks.
    Its a time we see eye to eye on most everything. Truly special.

    ReplyDelete