Monday, November 14, 2011

November Browns


Yesterday I spent a few hours on a Class 1 wild trout stream. I have not fished this stream since the snow storm of a few weeks ago and was anxious to see how much damage was done. The stream holds both wild browns and brookies, and the browns predominate. As I walked into the stream the damage was easy to see. Trees and limbs scattered about, some of them very large.
Upon reaching the stream I observed some of the better pools had completely changed, and the familiar runs were gone. I said to myself I have a new stream to explore, and proceeded to do so.
The first fly I chose was a Bomber dry, this is a fly that always worked here even this late in the season. Well I gave this fly all the time it needed to bring a trout to the surface, and that did not happen. I changed to a Picket Pin wet and this produced one bump. This was going to be one of those days where I was going to do some hard walking and enjoying the stream and the woods. I say this because the flies that would have been a good bet,streamers, were in a box at home.
Looking at the choices I had I tied on a worm like, caddis like, I guess a bug that looked like it had a chance to fool one or two fish. The second drift as the fly started to sink the trout hit, and hit hard. A very respectable battle took place, and the TFO 2wt was tested and did its job. I held the brown, took a photo and sent it off, it was gone in a heartbeat.

As the day went on, I learned where the new trout lies where and had a wonderful day.




These were the flies that worked so well. Also a longer version with peacock tied in as legs. It was centipede like. I don't have a photo of it for I lost it, along with the three other flies. I'll tie a few up and post them later.


This was a good pool.


Beautiful wild browns. Nicely spotted and very aggressive.


You can see the other fly in the browns mouth.


This was a part of the stream that was so beautiful and peaceful. While taking in the view I was startled when a wind gust brought down a large branch.


Thanks friends.


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful browns. The spotting is stunning.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job getting out there ! Amazing how quickly a stream can change after a storm. Keep any eye above when the wind blows, I think there are still a few "widowmakers" hanging on

    ReplyDelete
  3. G Lech,
    Thanks.
    They were dressed up for fall.
    Another thing I noticed, they were especially aggressive.

    Mark,
    Thanks.
    It sure changed this one. WIDOWMAKER, I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Brk Trt! Those flies are very cool looking. The great thing about Nature is that you can go to the exact same place you have been to once before and experience in a whole new way because the world is always changing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you,
    friend.
    Beautiful piece...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiwi,
    Thanks.
    What was once familiar is now strange.
    I'll beat they would be great tied with soft hackles, in the Tenkara style.

    e.m.b.,
    Thanks.
    And your welcome....much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BT,
    What types of flys will be productive once winter sets in, or do things come to a standstill??
    Thanks,
    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  8. cphaneuf,
    Thanks.
    When it gets cold I usually fish nymphs, and very slowly. Beadhead pheasant tails, size 14 to 18. Also small San Juan worms in smaller sizes, with a split shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice ties, and pics. Thank you for sharing.

    Johnny Utah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brk Trt,
    I love the post!! Beautiful trout with colors, as well as great photos.

    Well done....DRYFLYGUY

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wild how Mother Nature has a way of teaching us new things that we thought we already new. Learning all of the new lies makes it like a brand new adventure and lesson in itself. Great photos and Ice cold Browns :) Bent 2 wt sounds like a great day to me. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Johnny Utah,
    Thanks.

    DRYFLYGUY,
    Thanks.
    Those browns did have some beautiful markings.

    Trout MaGee,
    Thanks.
    She is a wonderful teacher, and I try to get all A's. The 2wt performed well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brk Trt...I have tied up some in green and amber colors with partridge hackles(sakasa kebari style) and they work great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful fish. Nice to see you able to get out and do some investigating on the newly "changed" stream...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kiwi,
    Thanks.
    I should have guessed it. They must really look good.

    Sanders,
    Thanks.
    I've got to take advantage of the few good days we have. The seasons re a changing.

    Ed,
    Thanks.
    Where have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful fish! Those fallen trees and limbs will make valuable trout habitat though. I know what its like to have to re-learn a stream again, as they are ever changing, even when they don't seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Traveling for work around this beautiful country of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bill,
    Thanks.
    I agree. I've seen the benefits of woody debris on other streams.

    Ed,
    Thanks.
    That's OK. I was concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Alan...I need to get a smartphone besides the Blackberry (BB) I have for work to keep up with the blogs. The BB doesn't work very good when it comes to web "surfing". Heading to CT today for work.....if you see MA plates with a TU sticker: BEEP.

    ReplyDelete