Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 1, 2013

Friday February 1st was my last trip to a small stream. It was a day right out of winters handbook. Steel gray skies, cold temps and a wind to mix things up. I had tied on a dry fly in an attempt to catch a trout and keep my record going of a dry fly trout in every month of the year. There was not even a hint of surface activity, nor did I observe any flies in air or along the bank. I fished many likely spots trying to bring a fish to the surface. At one point in the head of a pool a brookie broke the surface and made an attempt but missed.

With fingers numb, I reached into my fly box for an old friend, a Picket Pin, tied with a red head. I fished this fly as I continued my walk out. As I worked a section of riffles as the fly straightened out I felt the hit. Moments later a beautiful winter brook trout was at hand. His red spots stood out in the cold waters, and his tail seemed to be so perfectly square. Truly a wonder of nature.

A winter dry fly,  Not this day but perhaps the next.




Well worth the effort this winters day.



CLICK IMAGES TO INLARGE


21 comments:

  1. You adapted and brought in another beauty. Those limbs hanging over the brook would be magnets to my attempts at fishing near them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      They have taken there fair share of flies from me.

      Delete
  2. Those days where you struggle a little just make the good ones that much more enjoyable. The days are getting longer , it won't be long now and this winter will be a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher,
      Thanks
      Very true my friend.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    That trout image looks like it should be framed. Am I seeing a beaver dam there at one point in that stream? Did you try that area? What was the air temp that day? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      No beaver dam Bill, just woody debris.
      The air temp was mid 20's

      Delete
  4. Nicely done sir ! The dry fly game is becoming a much higher risk proposition these days. Do you find February a tough month to fish? Last year we were able to take advantage of an unusually warm winter and an early spring, so far this winter is looking more typical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      It sure is getting tough, dries are slow to bring cold fish up for a meal.
      I hope there will be some moderation in temps. Nights have been real cold.

      Delete
  5. Well done Alan, a fine way to start Febuary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brian,
      Thanks.
      When you bring that first fish to hand, the cold seems to let go.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. TexWisGirl,
      Thanks.
      They sure are. There are times when I'll listen to them for awhile, its music that can't be made in a studio.

      Delete
  7. nice trout- it may be cold but at least there are no bugs during winter fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Patenaude,
      Thanks.
      That's one consolation.

      Delete
  8. Hi Alan!

    Nice reward for perseverance! You got one of the small stream gems. That's an accomplishment in Ferbruary. Thanks for sharing!

    Greetings from a friend,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jassid Man,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate it my friend.
      That's one of your flies. Do you have a name for it?

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beauteous! (now it's spelled correctly, hence the delete above) Does the dry fly have a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RKM,
      Thanks.
      I'm sure it does. It's from Sweden, and I just asked the tyer for the name.

      Delete
  11. Maybe not on a dry this day, but, that day will come yet in February. Still, the Picket Pin is a top fly for those laying in wait for something subsurface. Thanks as always, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just seeing that beautiful fish is enough to warm you up on a winter day. Best of luck in keeping the streak going, that would be quite an accomplishment! Thanks for mentioning the Pickett Pinn, I need to tie some of those up as I keep sidetracking into other things.

    ReplyDelete