Saturday, December 14, 2013

Snow, what to do this day

Out my window right now the snow is falling. These are the days to tie a few flies, do a check on the fly reels and other gear or sit down and read a good book and I have one for you.

"A Tale of Two Rivers" by Ron Lasko is a book about two rivers on Cape Cod. The Mashpee and Quashnet are two coastal rivers that hold wild sea run brook trout. Ron go into detail on each stream, the seasons of the year, the habitat, the flies, and the brook trout. Ron lives very near to both streams and has fished them for 25 years. The book contains many color photos of the flies Ron uses many of his own ties. There are some hand drawn maps of the two rivers, which can help someone new to the area find and fish the trout holding sections. This book is very well written and I highly recommend it.

You can get a signed copy of his book at ronaldlaskoflyfisher@gmail.com Tell him you learned of his book here.

"Ethan's Dragon" and "Morgan's Fancy"
As for flies. I never tied a fly until my grand daughter was born, that was 13 years ago. At that time I decided to tie a streamer fly to commemorate her birth. The fly was named "Morgans Fancy" it's the streamer on the right. Two years later my grandson was born, and a streamer was tied for him, "Ethan's Dragon" the streamer on the left.



22 comments:

  1. Yeah its an inside kind of day for sure Stay warm, enjoy the fly tying, and book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savage,
      Thanks.
      Doing just that, along with checking the long range forecast for a shot at fishing.

      Delete
  2. Brk Trt,
    yes the snow is falling today as well here in the Berkshires, with about a foot predicted. I'm doing about the same thing today as you, though its a little more technology induced. I'm surfing through Cabelas on-line looking to buy and add Fly fishing & tying equipment. Some great bargin cave deals along with Free shipping until thru the 18th, which you can't beat it!! Maybe when I get board of surfing, I'll tye a few????............Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY,
      Thanks.
      Phil you can find those deals, and when you do BUY, they're gone very fast.
      I have a Cabelas store 15 minutes away, and I have gotten some great gear over the years.
      Have a hot coffee and shop and tie.

      Delete
  3. Nice relaxed snow-day post. Thanks for the story on those gorgeous flies. That's a wonderful gift for your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Yaussy Albright,
      Thanks.
      A day for hot coffee AND.........

      Delete
  4. Alan
    I am sure Ethan and Morgan have a special place for their streamers. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      That's true Bill, I think they are in a tackle box right next to the lures and buggers.
      But I have a few in a frame for them.

      Delete
  5. I kind of look forward to those fireside book-reading and tying days myself. Life can be so hectic at times that a good reason to slow down and just relax is often mighty welcome.
    Lovely streamers Alan , that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher,
      Thanks.
      Very well said friend.

      Delete
  6. Flies tied in honor of a loved one are the best kind. My oldest daughter has help me "design" a few flies....they are among my most prized. Your streamers are beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      True Chris. The kids design is one of simplicity and that's key.

      Delete
  7. You were born to be a fly tyer Alan..my first attempt ended up being a goopie looking nymph, sort of thingie..as us Downeaster's would say..wicked aaaaty..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      Maybe so Mike, only it took about 50 years to come forward.

      Delete
  8. Did the same yesterday and probably some more tying this afternoon after the snow removal is complete. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      I enjoy tying flies when the snow is flying.

      Delete
  9. Such talent Brk Trt. You really should consider publishing more of you photos, essays, and stories.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Carlson,
      Thanks.
      I probably will someday, only problem all this angling stuff gets in the way.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful flies Alan. Thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Streamers 365,
      Thanks.
      Ron ties a pretty nice streamer too.

      Delete
  11. Been checking in and enjoying your posts. Beautiful streamers and amazed they were your first. Happy and warm holidays to you and yours.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Curry,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate your comments Mike. May your holidays be all that you hoped for.

      Delete