Saturday, January 25, 2014

The "Outback"

"The Outback", no it's not that desolate place located in Australia but a lush well hidden and well defended section of a stream here in Connecticut. I generally fish the "Outback" several times a year, and probably would fish it more often if it were easier to fish. As you can see in the photo of the little camp building the dense underbrush, which includes some of the nastiest thorns I've ever encountered any where. Fishing from the bank is almost impossible and waders, or hip boots are what's needed. One of the issues with waders is that the thorns can rip them up pretty bad.


So what I generally do is get into the stream and try to walk in that way. The stream is a series of riffles and those long, dark slick pools. When walking in water like such your movements send out signals to the brown trout that call the "Outback" home. There are no 20 foot casts made here, if you want to present your dry fly with finesse, it's not happening here.

I like the challenge of the "Outback", and there are those times when I was given the chance to fool one of those browns and brought it to hand.

An overcast day, a light rain falling. At the end of the pool a fish could be seen rising. The cast was a problem because of the current taking the fly away from the fish. I tried to walk to the right side of the the stream, but on my second step my foot loosened the silt from the bottom and sent a cloud downstream. My thoughts were time to go home. I stayed for a spell and the fish never broke the surface again.


Some of the biggest browns that inhabit this stream call "The Outback" home. I have taken a few and lost many, including one that took a Dark Spruce fly one April. We are in a deep freeze right now and the Outback is surely iced up, but come the first thaw I think I'll visit the "Outback"




35 comments:

  1. all that green washed my eyes out! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TexWisGirl,
      Thanks.
      I figured it brighten most peoples day.

      Delete
  2. Places like the Outback are a challenge for the fly fisher and will haunt you till you give it the old college try. Because it's never an easy ride, the occasional trout that's caught there will be a fish to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rivertoprambles,
      Thanks.
      It's good these places exist. They make for special outings.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    I could see where one's casting skills would be challenged in this particular stream. I assume a roll cast would be out here as well; making a stream like this limited meaning less fishing pressure for most anglers. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      You have to drift your fly downstream, most times there is no cast. There's no fishing pressure here.

      Delete
  4. That is one gorgeous stream, I love a challenging place like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle,
      Thanks.
      You'll get that challenge there every time. You'll also take with you some wonderful rewards.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful as always. A brown like that is worth pursuing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some streams are too difficult for the average angler. They drive past lovely water like this to that popular place. I hope they do really well where they went and keep driving past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ssj,
      Thanks.
      Great thoughts......they echo mine exactly.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful brown buddy! I have an old pair of waders full of leaks and all, designated for places like the Outback during the warmer months. Places like that are nice to visit in the winter months as they are a bit easier to fish. Once this arctic weather passes I hope to visit a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      I'll have to pick up a cheap pair, beaters,. Winter fishing can be spectacular when temps are above 40.

      Delete
  8. Pretty, pretty water, and luscious foliage along the stream. Perhaps, the challenge of the "Outback" is just that, well, "it is not supposed to be easy"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel Moore,
      Thanks.
      I agree Mel. That's why I get to fish this place in solitude. Well worth it buddy.

      Delete
  9. Places like the "Outback" are challenging to fish and not for the faint of skin but those who choose to venture there are often rewarded for their efforts! I've been known to carry leather gloves and small pruning shears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks,
      I have done likewise, but it seems to grow back thicker.

      Delete
  10. What beautiful and challenging water. I'm glad you were able to capture this in pictures. Thanks Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard,
      Thanks.
      It's not technical as far as fly selection gos, but it's challenging in many other ways.

      Delete
  11. It will be 104 F in Coober Pedy, Australia tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Carlson,
      Thanks.
      Summer there. I'll swap a few of our degrees for a few of theirs

      Delete
  12. I've got a few places like it. Nothing like thorns tearing up your legs or ticks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. riverwalker34,
      Thanks.
      Some of the thorns leave a pretty good blood trail. The others let you know where they are a they sting the h*** out of you in the shower.

      Delete
  13. Refreshing! I dream up places like this. Nice to see one in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Yaussy Albright,
      Thanks.
      Jim we all have such places in our mind. And most of us will find a place as such.

      Delete
  14. Looks like a great tenkara stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tenkara ambassador,
      Thanks.
      I'm sure the right man with a Tenkara setup would do well.

      Delete
  15. It does look challenging. Streams like this are made for unconventional casting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Streams like that are what can can make fly fishing for those little jewels every bit as tough and rewarding as fishing a large river for lunker trout. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably has never tried crawling on their knees to get into position on a pool and tried casting with such vegetation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      Very true my friend. As "tenkara ambassador" commented it might make a great stream for "Tenkara"

      Delete
  17. So are you saying that wading is a last resort tactic? That steam looks like a "typical" stream up here..so much snaggly stuff..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      Mike I say that wading is probably you best chance, the problem is the silty bottom in places.

      Delete
  18. This looks like an absolutely amazing little stream to fish. I could see there being some issues there, but they (and I have yet to figure out who "they" are) do say persistence pays off.

    ReplyDelete