Monday, August 18, 2014

"Beyond the Golden Rod"

Located in the Berkshires of Massachusetts there is a lovely field of Golden Rod. It is quite large and with the suns light upon it is breathtaking. Don't know how true this is but I've been told that golden rod is edible and nutritious. Just beyond this field is a stream, a stream I have known since the 70's. A stream that flows of the top of one of the mountains and flows into a lake. The stream has good flows and I have never seen it dry up. It is well shaded by some very impressive hardwoods, and there are no homes or farms nearby.

A beautiful stream indeed, one that holds some wild brook trout, trout that probably see very few anglers, almost to a point where I would say no anglers. So I guess you are saying why then have I never fished the little stream. I'll tell you.


There is this one obstacle. Climbing this rock wall. I know you might say find another way to get around it...well there's no way. I would have to enter the woods from quite a distance and walk to the stream, an easy walk it's not.

I will make an attempt to fish this stream soon. Maybe tomorrow. For this stream I have tied up a few of these flies.


"Hornberg" Dry Fly
Hook, Mustad dry fly size14...Body, flat silver tinsel...Underwing, yellow hackle fibers...Overwing, Mallard fibers slightly longer than the underwing...Hackle, brown and grizzly.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE


18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. TexWisGirl,
      Thanks.
      A nice place Teresa for sure.

      Delete
  2. Just noticed the first goldenrod in bloom around here about a day or two ago. A harbinger of fall. And your stream with waterfall and difficult access reminds me of a few like that in this region, the kind I've sampled a bit of, and want to find new points of access for. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt Franklin,
      Thanks.
      I think I'll take the long way to it, but the trip in might just be worth it.

      Delete
  3. Always about the journey and not the destination. Although it would be pretty sweet to fish that stream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Curry,
      Thanks.
      Very true Mike. I will fish the stream one day.

      Delete
  4. Brk Trt, nice post. It looks like a dandy of a location, and I really like that Hornberg. Thanks for the fly recipe & please keep us posted on your stream return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY,
      Thanks.
      Phil I'll keep you posted. I also like the Hornberg, it's a great fly for Autumn trout.

      Delete
  5. Careful climbing that wall, i'm sure you will some wonderful water beyond, hopefully filled with brookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN,
      Thanks.
      Long I think I'll take the long way in, and skip the climb.

      Delete
  6. Before going up that wall I would want to know are there fish up there? But I guess there is only one way to find out. BTW...that's a beautiful picture of golden rod. I have some pics of golden rod I planned on using in a future post. You beat me to it. It's always a harbinger of the next season to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      The big question is it worth while, I'll find out soon.
      Post your photos, I love seeing them.

      Delete
  7. Well, Alan, I await a post telling me of two things. First off, how you accessed the small stream? Secondly, did you show those fishies your magic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pondstalkerblog.com
      Thanks.
      Mel, I hope to do just that soon.

      Delete
  8. Alan
    Yes I would find a way to that area, such beauty; I have a feeling that the Hornberg you created will get the job done. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      I hope the Hornberg does work some magic. Never fished one that small.

      Delete
  9. alan....nice pics....and nice tie...I love the Hornberg !!!

    tight lines on those thin-blue-ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flyfisher1000,
      Thanks.
      Dave, the Hornberg is a fave of mine also. Great fly.

      Delete