Monday, August 25, 2014

Sunday 8-24-14

The day started out with a question mark and finished with a star. I planned to visit two blue lines I had circled on a map. These were entirely new to me and I had no idea what I would find. When I arrived at the first one the stream looked good. It was meandering through some fields at a slow pace. Every so often there were a set of faster riffles leading to some very interesting places. The foliage was lush and growing right to the stream. I found an opening and crawled in. I tossed the fly and let it drift into the riffles, BAM the fish hit and was it hard. A few moments I had at hand a beautiful shiny river dace. Back into the water he went and I continued to fish downstream. It was like every other cast brought the same result, dace after dace. The stream was to nice to only hold these little bait fish. But today was not the day to try to find them, but I will be back.

Back in the car and off to the second blue line. After driving around dirt roads and half of a mountain I located the second brook. It was indeed nice and it was pretty secluded with only one setback, it was posted private for it was watershed property. A good try but it did not pan out as I hoped. Back down the mountain and the ruts that go with it. I was going to pay a visit to a more friendly stream. I stopped in at the local Dunkin Donuts for a black coffee. and headed to the stream.


By the time I reached the stream it was around 9. The sun was out in force a cool air mass made me feel good. The stream was at normal late summer flows, with a water temp at 62. The last time I fished this brook I came to meet a landowner who has a section of stream posted. I stopped and chatted with him and found out why he had it posted. I introduced myself and what I was up to then asked his permission to fish through his property and was granted such.

The stream had some very nice pools some of which were 2 to 3 feet deep. There were good flows at the head of the pools and that is where I found the trout. I started fishing dries and soon realized that these fish were not going to rise. I tied on a wet fly and as the fly worked towards the head of the pool the strikes came.

This wild jewel took a Dark Cahill wet fly. The Cahill wet and the Picket Pin have been the best producing flies this last month.


Each pool held fish. I would hook one and let to pool rest and fish it on the way back.


To be graced with such beautiful brook trout as this in late summer is wonderful, and Autumn is coming.

This trip ended with a star indeed. On my way home I spotted a familiar face. The gent was just getting his gear ready and was about to fish the Farmington. It was  Pete, aka TROUT1. It was nice to see you again and to talk to you friend.




18 comments:

  1. Another very nice outing Brk Trt..looking forward to a future report on the first stream..meadow fishing..yup..that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      Mike I'll hit that stream again after the first frost, this way some of the foliage will die off and make access better.

      Delete
  2. Great Pics Al!! Good to see you out by the Farmington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1,
      Thanks.
      I hope your outing was to your liking.

      Delete
  3. Nice pics & trip Al. The Picket Pin never fails. Hope to fish with you guys soon when time permits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      The Pin is indeed a great fly. We were talking about getting together.....before New Years Day.

      Delete
  4. Look at the jaw on that brookie. Nice fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RKM,
      Thanks.
      They are showing signs of fall. Should be getting better.

      Delete
  5. Alan - nice to see the small streams around are still healthy, it has been so dry lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      They are so much better off then last year. There is one stream up country that I fish, I can't believe how much water is in there.

      Delete
  6. Alan, that fine seed flower pic at the end says it all to me, "It's still happening, and the future is secure."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt Franklin,
      Thanks.
      I agree with you buddy.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    Posted property can be tricky to fish; I'm glad you made the connection with the landowner. Here it would be difficult to fish anywhere that doesn't have a posted sign near. Beautiful brook trout -----thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Most landowners can size up what you are. I have found that you offering your name to him first and a solid handshake, will usually bring a good outcome.

      Delete
  8. The stream looks a bit crowded with brush but we'll worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      I was glad the rest of the stream was not the same. It seemed to open up some further upstream.

      Delete
  9. I'm amazed every time you post Alan. I wasn't aware of all the beautiful water in your state. You're a lucky man to have those great opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard,
      Thanks.
      I'm very fortunate to have this available.

      Delete