Sunday, July 10, 2016

Something Old, Something New...Thanks "Polly"

The "Casual Dress"...a fuzzy nymph created by Earnest "Polly" Rosborough. Polly was an Arkansas native who moved to the Pacific northwest in the 1930's. An innovative tyer and very accomplished angler who created some wonderful flies. I for one have never fished his flies before, under the thought they were designed for western waters. It was many years ago that I was introduced to a couple of his patterns. The first was the "Muskrat" and the other was the "Casual Dress"...these patterns worked well for me in Maine, especially on the Kennebago River.
The "Casual Dress" has the look of many types of fish food and can adapt itself to both still water as well as river waters, and when tied on bigger hooks can fool several salt water fish.

Below I have tied three variations of the "Casual Dress"....the materials are Coyote, both underfur and guard hair...and a head of brown synthetic dubbing. These flies are tied on a size 12 hook. I believe these flies can be weighted to get them to fish deeper.


This variant has a long tail, when fished it has the profile to represent a small minnow.


This variant takes on the traditional "nymph" look. It's pretty buggy looking and would draw some attention.


The third variant make an excellent emerger. I can see a caddis here for sure.


The last one is like the original as Rosborough tied it.






18 comments:

  1. Alan, nice example of another simple fly that can be used in a variety of ways.as much as I have enjoyed the benefits of the new synthetics my heart still loves the natural materials such as the muskrat ,coyote, fox, and many others. You did a great job on those flies,Polly would be proud. It's nice to remind us of the people who have had great contributions to our sport. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore,
      Thanks
      Brad the natural stuff is still best. Some of the materials are still available and not very costly....combine them with a little syn-pazazz and who knows. These old timers, the pioneers are still alive with me.

      Delete
  2. Good Stuff Alan!!! They look very buggy and probably very deadly on the Farmington!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI
      Thanks
      Pete I like buggy, you like buggy, think the fish will agree with us?

      Delete
  3. If my memory serves me right, I was fortunate enough to watch Polly tie this pattern many years ago at a Fly Fishing Expo in Idaho. The Muskrat Nymph is a great little nymph that people don't see or fish much anymore. The Casual Dress, is more commonly seen. Polly, also, used a lot of unique to us viewers then, dubbing techniques for getting that buggy look. Thanks for bringing up some recall, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Mel
      Thanks
      Mel it's nice to be able to watch the masters at their craft. I was fortunate to view a few.

      Delete
  4. Fuzzy nymphs have hooked a good number of fish for me. They are great during the hendrickson hatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle
      Thanks
      Rowan one well known fly tyer said of this pattern..."it represents nothing, but looks like everything".

      Delete
  5. Now I know those buggy looking things will catch fish out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard I'm going to try them here. I think they may work OK.

      Delete
  6. Great samples and variations. A perfect example of how an open mind with many patterns can carry them across hatches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph Long
      Thanks
      Ralph very true. Those inovative tyers that came before us opened the door.

      Delete
  7. Great looking flies, Alan. I bet all will catch fish. I too like putting my own variations on flies and more times than not they all produce results.

    Best Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam so do I. I hope the originators of the flies don't mind. A good spin on their classics is not bad, at least by me.

      Delete
  8. Alan,
    What a wonderful series of a classic such as the casual dress! Yours are awesome! I have been wanting to tackle this pattern for quite some time and now you have "re-inspired" me to do so! Let's see....I can work this one in around October.....
    From a very slow tyer,
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug glad to put the "bug" into you to tie a few Casual Dress flies. I'm going to order the right materials for this fly and give that version a whirl.

      Delete
  9. good looking flies

    ReplyDelete