Friday, January 13, 2017

Some Information And Some Good Stuff

Sandy River Maine
There's some pretty exciting stuff going on around SSR's, both now and in the "very near future". I'll talk about the future first. This blog was started some years ago so that I would be able to share what I love, "small streams, wild trout and life in their simplest form" and I've tried to stay with that concept. Over the years it has done well and it seems by the response I've had many of you have the same feelings. You know I appreciate every comment and thought you put forth and will continue to that in the future.

Small Stream Reflections is about to reach a milestone in the next month that is incredible..I for one would never think it possible when I started. When that is achieved there will be a big thank you...more later.


"The Salter" the official newsletter of the Sea Run Brook Trout Coalition. I received my copy the other day and was thrilled at the quality of this publication. What a group of individuals, there is a lot of work that went into this and a lot of love in what they do both in the publication and conservation of the "salter" brook trout. I know many of you are members of the SRBTC and there are some that have not joined. I think you know where I stand on this important and very worthy group. I urge you to sign up and join me in support of this unique group. The link is posted below.

Thank you...Geoffrey Day, Justin Flemming, and all who are involved with the publication "Salter" and the SRBTC.



One of this blogs readers and frequent commenters "Parachute Adams" who's name is Sam sent me a photo of his daughters, who's name is Paige, watercolor painting of a trout in pursuit of a fly. Watercolor paintings of fish are the best, in my opinion they bring out a natural look of fish. Her painting is beautiful and it's something she as well as Sam should be very proud of. Thank you.


Virginia Ham...now this is exciting. I purchased this steak when I was in VA. last fall. Today at some point I'm going to try it. They tell me to watch out for the salt for that can be an issue. It will be served with "red eye gravy" and biscuits. 


THE SEA RUN BROOK TROUT COALITION









20 comments:

  1. Excellent post Alan!! The watercolor drawing of the trout pursuing the fly is beautiful!! I am sure you will keep us posted on the outcome of the ham steak!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete, talent on display..hope she stays with it.
      I had the steak last night and truthfully I did not care for it.

      Delete
  2. Alan, Paige's watercolor is beautiful and just the type of art that adorns my man cave. Kudos to Paige! I've been following along here for a while and know of your love of Salters. I'll be checking out Sea Run Brook Trout Coalition despite the fact that the only salt here is on the kitchen table! Virginia smoked ham and red eye gravy...nothing can compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard she has a future for sure. I guess you are about as far from a sea-run brook trout as I am from a wild cutthroat...but its worth checking into. Like I told Pete that ham did not work for me.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    Virginia Hams the best of the best, my wife's grandmother use to send us one every year for Christmas. She lived in Richmond. Beautiful watercolor, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill perhaps it's a southern fancy. I found it to be salty and dry. Paige does wonderful work.

      Delete
  4. Alan, That water colour really shows life, colour and movement. Is there any possibility that Paige and Sam could have prints made of the original?
    I have an oil painting that my mother-in-law painted as a birthday gift for me, some years ago before the the tremors robbed her of this talent, joy and ability. It shows a lone angler fishing on a stream. It was painted with love and I value it more than words can express.
    Ham and bacon--you can never have enough of it. "Biscuits"--are they what we call scones in Australia? Flour, butter, milk or water and baked in the oven or on a cast iron fry pan, then we call them "griddle cakes". Whatever they are they would go well with that Virginia ham.
    Enjoy.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Hynes
      Thanks
      Steve I'll run that thought by Sam, if they did I'm sure they could sell them. Life sometimes is cruel and it's usually to the wrong people.
      The biscuits were the best part of the meal..I did not like the ham. Now bacon is another thing....loving bacon is loving life. Hope all's well in OZ.

      Delete
    2. We buy free range bacon and ham from a local delicatessen. They're both nicely smoked, very lightly salted and delicious. I'll fry you up a decent serving with free range eggs if you ever get over to OZ. Over salted ham or bacon really ruins the flavour and enjoyment.
      Cheers,
      Steve.

      Delete
  5. There you go again with the good food posting again. Bye, I've got to go eat something. Beautiful watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark ask your wife to please make up a dozen biscuits, using King Arthur flour...then mail me half of them.

      Delete
  6. Ham and trout fishing. I have an antique Shasta (late 50's or 60's) camper that I've restored and take trout fishing each year (Roscoe, NY; Pittsburg, NH; Millinocket, ME). Just me and my pug dog. I've named the camper and had it lettered "shunka Konzerva" which translated is canned ham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      dzieki
      John that's so cool. Those are some great destinations. The wife and I would love to take a trip in a restored VW micro bus....nice name for the camper.

      Delete
  7. I look forward, Alan, to the achievement you and the blog are about to make in the coming month! SSR is and always has been great reading and a stroke of the Master's Hand for me, personally.
    Paige's Watercolor painting is remarkable and certainly would stand out anywhere. Beware of the Salt and health conditions that go with too much. Hogwash, pass the ham!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Mel
      Thanks
      Mel if it were not for the fine people who read this blog I could never have done it.
      I hope Paige continues her work. The salt is one of the dislikes I have with the ham.

      Delete
  8. Alan, that ham sure looks good. I would like to have that with a couple of over easy eggs!

    Thank you for putting up Paige's painting with your LaBonte streamer placed within it. I treasure both of those items. I have relayed the kind comments on the painting to Paige, and it pleases her a great deal that her painting is liked by others.

    Best Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam she is quite talented, hope she stays with it.
      The ham was not a favorite, but at least I tried it.

      Delete
    2. I hope the same, Alan. I would like Paige to paint a brook trout colored up for the fall spawn. Maybe next Christmas!

      Delete
  9. Alan, I'm glad you posted info on the coalition,they need all the help they can get. Paige,I think has a future as an artist. That was a very nice painting,I also like the fly that's in the corner of the painting. We have a local artist who uses water colors as his medium and paints the most beautiful brook trout, I wish I could afford one. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad I agree with you, if Paige stays with it she will do all right. Some of the artists work is pricey, and most likely it should be...but I to have a budget, so.

      Delete