Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Stream Observation

I have been going around checking on some blue lines to see how they are and how the residents of those blue lines have fared over the summer. On this day I visited a favorite stream that has been a "mainstay" as far as maintaining a stable population of brook trout over the years. Like most wild places the stream has had ups and downs over the years with the worst coming in those consecutive drought years of '15 and '16. It did rebound nicely since and is back to what it once was.

The freestone stream was flowing at normal for this time of year. Water temps checked at 58-60. Thoughts were to fish soft-hackles and dries. The fly selection proved to be right and the brookies responded to both. But I'll tell you the dries were easier to fish.


A special spot on this stream, not for the fish caught but for the absolute beauty of the location.


This brookie and one other were all that came to hand, all others managed to elude capture...you know what that's OK. By the way just look at how large the anal fin is on this guy.




As I was photographing this fly two bees circled me and one stung me on the ear...








14 comments:

  1. I've been lucky this year, haven't gotten stung. As always beautiful pictures. Have been tying up some Road Kones for when I come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Road Kone, sounds interesting. Care to share.

      Delete
    2. They are what you tied a few weeks ago. Kebari style, orange thread body, peacock thorax and light hackle. Like in your post on 8/28 with the Firehole Sticks.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Bill...those flies work well.

      Delete
  2. I ran into a swarm of ground bees a couple years ago. Nasty little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark that's where these bees were hovering over. They were determined to inflict pain on me and they succeeded.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about the bee sting, Alan. Mowing last summer I went over a nest and they came after me big time. Those stings are no joke and throbbed for quite some time. What a fin on that brook trout! When you catch others with the same trait in coming years you will know where that big fin came from. Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Stings are rare for me but it happened. You well know the second and third days after can be very miserable.
      I hope he has a bumper crop of offspring.

      Delete
  4. I hope the same with that brookie. What a beauty.

    You are right, the following days those yellow jacket stings keep on bringing on the pain. Mine were right behind the ears last year. A couple of beers did some good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, beer you say...I took some Tylenol.
      I guess I should be more careful.

      Delete
  5. I can't remember the last time one of my honey bees stung me. The wasps on the back of the barn are another story; pure evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike I encounter bumble bees all the time and never a problem. These guys were as you say "pure evil"

      Delete
  6. Alan, good to hear one of your favorite streams is in good shape. I grew up around honey bees and never feel threatened by them. Bald-faced hornets are ground dwelling meat-eaters and are very aggressive, I usually get stung at least once a year by them while working on steep hills with southern exposure in July and August. Paper wasps are no better during those months also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt Harding
      Thanks
      Matt I can get along with most insects but when for no reason they come at you with only harm on their minds I feel like war paid me a visit. I can't imagine what a full attack by many would be like.

      Delete