Sunday, September 1, 2019

The First Day Of September And "Follow The Rain"

Today is the first day of September, the official meteorological start of the fall season. The thermometer on the deck say's 55 and that's fine with me. The last week of August gave Connecticut some pretty substantial rainfall, that is in certain parts of the state. In my fishing plans I selected streams that were in those areas where it rained hardest. It's funny how a stream rises and quickly drops back to it's "real" flow within a day. When the trees are void of leaves the water remains in the stream. I guess the trees drink a lot of water.



The stream that morning was flowing nicely, a bit off color but that was not an issue. Water temp was 61 and the air was in the upper 50's. I had a bomber on and that's what I threw first. One small brookie in about a half hour fishing. Off with the bomber and on with a soft-hackle. That change helped in that my strike ratio went up, but my hook-ups were not impressive until...


this hen slammed the fly and the hook-set held. A well conditioned specimen with lovely markings.


The "drive me crazy" run. A half dozen flies and perhaps twice that amount of hook-ups and not one to hand until a silvery fall-fish obliged me.


Just downstream I came into contact with this stunner. He was already into his fall attire and fought like hell. As he went back into the stream I realized what was starting to happen...it's only the beginning.








19 comments:

  1. Beautiful stream and fish Alan. We need a bit of that rain here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill it seems like we are all in need of some rain. Thankfully it's been cool here.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    Quality brook trout for sure, just wondering how you was working the soft hackle. What size was you using. I have been having success on the size 12 hackles you tied for me. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I just make a cast into the riffle or poll and let the current move the fly. Even with slow moving waters the pulsating hackles will get the fish to strike. Most of the soft-hackles I fish are 14 and 12's. Once in awhile I fish a 16.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful looking stream, Alan. Like everybody we could use some significant rain up here; it's been a dry summer and the streams have suffered for it. That big male is going to be even more gorgeous in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike the areas that have had thunderstorms have fared better than others. With the season change I hope all of the state benefits from ample rain. I agree with you on that guys color transformation.

      Delete
  4. Lovely fish Alan! We are are on the doorstep of the most beautiful time of the year in New England (at least in my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MarkW
      Thanks
      Mark we agree on the fall season being the most beautiful time of year. I look forward to the cooler temps and foliage...the fishing is not to bad either.

      Delete
  5. Allan, your post jest gave me an elbow in the ribs and said, "Yo Ralph, head north for Brookies." Thank you Sir!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RalphsFlyBox
      Thanks
      Ralph I'll be looking forward to your future post titled "Morning Walk Along A Brook Trout Stream"

      Delete
  6. It will soon be time for toggin. Freeze some fillets and quahogs for Christmas eve (Jan 06 for me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John those holidays are getting close. Fine fixings for your Christmas eve dinner.

      Delete
  7. Alan,
    Speaking of rain....there is a monster hurricane named Dorian headed up the coast later this week. It is projected to dump a bunch of rain as it travels northward toward your beautiful state! I know that you have been keeping a weather eye on this one!
    The water and the trouts in your latest entry above are stunning! It was interesting to note the trouts preference in the soft-hackle over the dry at least on this occasion! We all know the effectiveness of the Bomber in most situations!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug from the reports I've heard we here in CT will not get any of Dorian or the remnants, we sure could use some of it's rain. The real hero in the fly fish-off was a beat up pheasant tail nymph. They loved it.

      Delete
  8. That stream looks to be in amazing shape... Late summer got a little try (up this way) but overall, the fish have had a good year thus far.

    What pretty fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will I was on that stream the day after some heavy rains. The brookies moved and in the process started eating. Dry few months but not as bad as it could be.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely beautiful brook trout, both in color and size, Alan. Wow! is all I can say looking at them. That run that drives you crazy is as fishy looking as it gets. When fishing the lower Swift those are the same kind of runs I look for. My money is on you bringing a few to hand next time you fish it.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam the fish were there, I just could not get a good hook set. Places like that where ever they are found should be fished and fished well for they will give you the fish you desire.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete