Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Crunch Time

Such a beautiful day. A winter day that felt like early November. There were times of clouds and sun with a little breeze that turned into a gusty wind. I was fortunate to have finished my day before that wind took hold. We had received rain and a snow melt a day or so before I chose to fish this stream. Not knowing what I would find when I parked the car. But a glance at the stream and a large smile broke out across my face. I knew this would be a great day and even if the fish did not play ball just being out here would be fine. This being mid December I had a quest to fill, that quest was to catch a brookie on a dry fly. Half the month gone and that feat had not happened. So this day would be devoted to dry flies and a possible rising fish.



Now the logical choice for a fly would be a "bomber", perhaps a elk hair caddis. This was not the case. The fly chosen for a first run was a "...... ..."...many will say that's not a dry fly but when fished with a little floatant it sure is. Well it did just that and my first brookie of the day was at hand.


This pretty guy just lost it as the fly drifted by. A very spirited fight took place and a very thankful angler completed his quest. Can you guess the fly. A very versatile fly, wet-dry type.


This run has been written about many times over the years. I love it. Every time I fish it I'm rewarded. That laurel bush is key to my success here. Brookies have come to hand here on everything. Streamers, dries, soft-hackles, midges and big muddlers.


Today it would be the "bomber". Did I ever tell you how much I like this fly. The bomber was called to duty because the "...... ..." was MIA. Look at the colors on this jewel.




I continued with several more willing brookies. Thinking about it on the drive home I said this has to be one of my better days this fall-winter season.













14 comments:

  1. Great day & lovely fish Alan. Every day this time of year is special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill it was a premier day for mid Dec.

      Delete
  2. Always beautiful country and fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark it was for sure...today snow-sleet and freezing rain.

      Delete
  3. A cold, icy, bone chilling wet day here on the shoreline Alan. a good day for a bowl of soup, with a capfull of sherry added. Learned that when we lived outside of Philly. Sherry was always added to snapper soup. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John it's the days you mention that chill one so very deep. It's takes a hot bowl of soup, a wool sweater and some fine spirits to reach and stomp out that chill. Love New England.

      Delete
  4. Fly looks like a Picket Pin...Glad you raised a trout to a dry, most of our rivers are icy and dark right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      Picket Pin is correct. Just wondering do you fish this fly? We are i for a cold snap here. Ice is tough on river anglers.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    I have a feeling those undercut banks where he laurels are located house some some really quality trout. What's the largest trout you've taken from that stretch?
    The Bomber is on an equal with the Adams when it comes to fishing dry flies. Colorful brook trout taken!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill a big fish in that stream is 10", but full of fight. They are both very good trout takers.

      Delete
  6. Alan,
    Those 'Blue Lines' and 'jewels' of yours are making me pine for my own waters.......
    Every time the rivers start to drop to sensible levels we get yet another downpour from the Atlantic! We are desperate for a prolonged dry spell here in the UK, hopefully we will see one over the Christmas holidays.
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair wet,wet and more wet. A guy can't catch a break. We are in great shape here but are going into a deep freeze for a few days. I hope the holidays offer you a gift of some stream time.

      Delete
  7. Alan - I could not make out the Picket Pin, probably because I have never tied or fished one! Looks like a great mid-December day and thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat if ever you have the chance to fish the Pin I hope you take advantage of it, it's a good fly. That day was a gem for mid Dec.

      Delete