Friday, April 24, 2020

Spring, Hiking, Sore Knees and Pleasure.

Sore knees to the max. Spring of 2020 seems to a bit worse on the joints for some reason but I'll not bother you with that. I have over the past week been on the lookout for my favorite spring flower. Trillium has had a wonderful effect on me for many years and to describe the feeling is something I can't do, I'm not the best when it comes to selecting the right words. I have been lucky to find trillium along a few streams, in various stages of bloom. My feelings are this weekend should be a great few days to see it in full bloom.



When you look at this free flowing freestone stream you can see how my knees could have a problem at the end of the day...well worth the pain for sure. It seemed that every pocket held a brookie. One of them was a wee 3", but was determined to grab that size 12 fly.


A few of the brookies were more substantial.


I love seeing wood stacked up like this on a stream. The benefits are tremendous for the brook trout.


Those little plunge pools are a favorite of both brookie and me.


Polenta...corn meal and tomato sauce. So simple and so good.











12 comments:

  1. Funny that you should mention your sore knees BT, mine have started playing up again of late. I used to suffer greatly when working in the factory but I found that cod liver oil capsules helped tremendously back in the day. I think my age and the occasional physicality of being a gardener has probably brought it back, so have just ordered the cod liver oil capsules once again.
    Love the pictures of the trout, always do, they are such little jewels.
    Stay safe and tight lines sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John The Gardener
      Thanks
      John I use this stuff called "Joint Juice", it helps. Most times just plain rest will do it, the only thing it seems to take more rest each time.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    A bit of advice, keep making those outings, because that's what keeps us older guys active. I've often said I will give up fishing when I can no longer remember how to cast. Hopefully for both of us and many more our age that is years from now.
    By the way do you use a wading staff on the rocky streams? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill staying active contributes a great deal to us upper aged folks. I find that when the day is sunny and warm I don't seem to mind the pain. Those cold damp bleak days are killers.
      I don't use a wading staff, but there are times when I'll pick up a stout branch to help me make it.

      Delete
  3. Awesome looking little brook. The translucence of the colors on that last brookie are unreal. And the food looks good too :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will he was an outstanding one. There is a nasty trail that winds along that brook. I have seen mountain bikers riding on it. Man that takes effort.

      Delete
  4. Alan - I love seeing the trilium also in the spring! Looks like you are getting out, something I need to do more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MarkW
      Thanks
      Mark I fish when the weather is nice. Lately it seems that is about 3 times a week. It will do you good to get out on a small stream.

      Delete
  5. Hi Alan,

    I love the look of that blue line especially that 2nd picture - how straight is that stream?

    I like those trilliums as well, if only they weren't so delectable to UK slugs & snails!

    Take care & stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair in that picture it is straight. It begins to rise up and then the turns start.
      All's is good here...be well.

      Delete
  6. Pretty Trilliums Alan. Miss them from back in the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill I guess they don't do well in the southwest.
      Welcome home...

      Delete