Friday, May 8, 2020

"Close Enough"....

I have written about a friend who I have had many wonderful times fishing with. His name was Pete and he had a love affair for fishing for brookies and small streams. A particular stream that we enjoyed over the years that we referred to as "The Family Secret" was again visited by me earlier this week. As I walked to the stream I noticed this piece of art that was tucked into a hollow in a tree. Seeing this I stopped and gave some thought as to it's meaning and who might have put it there. My conclusion may differ from yours but I think we are close.



The stream was gorgeous. Sunlight was upon it and it's brookies were going to be very cautious...fish the shadows was what Pete would have said.


There is a special section of the Family Secret that Pete liked. A small sign was placed there last fall and a few of us visited here on New Years Day. I fished the Run on this outing hoping to fool one of the brook trout that swim here. I'll tell you I tried my best to bring one to hand but it was not to be.


Just a bit downstream from Pete's Run" I managed to catch this fine jewel....close enough Pete, what do you think.







16 comments:

  1. Amazing, it looks like the Lego version of Bilbo Baggins. The image is beautiful. The first thing that leaped into my brain was that Tolkien was a fly fisherman. Whatever the spirit that dwells in that tree it seems wonderfully appropriate that you found it on your friends favorite water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike your answer sounds well thought out...a fly fisher is probable. I love the spot where it was placed.

      Delete
  2. Brk Trt, I think its great that you revisit this stream with thoughts of your friend Pete in your heart. That's true friendship.

    As far as my thought on the 1st photo and the art tucked in a hollow of the tree. I believe the meaning of it maybe that someone (Pete) loved this area/stream and is now considered being at peace and he is now at home?

    Tight lines my friend....Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY
      Thanks
      Phil I kind of agree on your answer. It is a place where peace exists and that feeling will come over those who walk within it.

      Delete
  3. Pete would approve. Interesting little piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I love the fact that the artist used some old material as well as some new. Some material from the area and some brought in.

      Delete
  4. Very nice memories to share. I think you friend Pete would have been happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will great times were had in that area...

      Delete
  5. Alan,
    Hopefully you will never learn the true source of the art work. Little mysteries like that are needed in life.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe I will let it be and not try to find the artist. I'm certain they had a purpose for doing it. And it does no harm.

      Delete
  6. I can see why Pete loved that stream. Pretty little stream and fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill it's as tranquil a spot I've ever fished. And the access is just beautiful.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    Once friendships are formed over the years it hard to break away. It's even harder to forget those who will never fished with you again but remain in our memories forever. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill very well said, and so true.

      Delete
  8. Alan, I always love seeing that plaque that is a tribute to your friend Pete. I imagine you get the sense he is fishing along with you whenever you hit that zone. That sculpture in the hollow of that tree, it seems symbolic to what we are dealing with these days. I like it a lot.

    Be Well and keep fishing, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam I think you are correct. He loved that stream.
      That little piece of folk art sure represents so much of what we are experiencing today.

      Delete