Sunday, May 3, 2020

The "Fly"



Sitting at my desk yesterday morning, the sun working it's way into the room. A hot cup of Colombian coffee served black next to me. On the desk was a memo pad that I use to write notes on about my fishing adventures. On the memo pad lay a fly that I had been looking at the night before. The fly a rather simple creation for the most part. The fly originally tied as an Atlantic salmon fly was converted through the use of a smaller hook and was very successful as a trout fly. As I gazed at the fly thoughts of it's previous outings were brought back, and thoughts of it's future outings rushed in. With half of my coffee consumed clearer thinking took over. What was I going to accomplish with the fly. Fishing a famed Atlantic salmon river, well that's not going to happen. Perhaps fishing a stream that holds large brown trout, now that's a good possibility. Well whatever the future of my undertakings with the fly I'm certain that it will be wonderful.

By the way the fly is "Salars Nemesis"...created by Sylvester Nemes....


13 comments:

  1. Alan,
    Daydreaming of future outings on either old or new streams keeps the charm of fishing fresh. Same can be said about tying flies. I often envision the fish falling over themselves to get at the flies I am putting together. And if they actually do it is magic.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe well said. Sitting at the bench and tying a fly puts you on the water. The mystery of what that fly can accomplish keeps us tying.

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Alan,
    Soft hackles work on both trout and salmon; that's for sure. Based on your previous post I picked up a copy of the book, great read. Look for to a post on your next adventure.
    Thanks,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Larry I know I overstate many times about the effects of soft-hackled flies. But those folks who try or have fished them for a long time will agree to their effectiveness.
      The next post has a touch of Salars Nemesis in it.

      Delete
  3. I dream, I sit, I sleep, I dream, I sit, I sleep. I'd like to be out fishing, but I think (and my own personal opinion) is that this Covid-19 is far from over AND those idiots protesting all massed together are going to start it again like a good California wildfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there, brother.

      Delete
    2. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark there will always be idiots in this world, but when life is at stake I just wish they would really think a bit.
      Mike we are all hanging in there....

      Delete
  4. Alan, thanks for the reminder to tie more Salars Nemesis flies. That fly has proven successful for hooking Coastal Cutthroat. There are rumors fishing in some areas will be opening soon in Washington State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt Harding
      Thanks
      Matt that fly has something any game fish will take to. I hope you guys can get back at fishing soon. It's such a good thing for us right now.

      Delete
  5. I love your version of Sylvester's creation, Alan. I still read Nemes books, over and over. Still so much to learn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike Nemes is the one that got it started here in the US. The book Six Months in Scotland is a interesting read..

      Delete
  6. Brk Trk, great salmon fly you have. I have been out on my local rivers in the berkshires fly fishing social distancing from my wife. All kidding aside, I actually have been Furloughed from my job, so I myself have been doing a little tying. I'm not as advanced as some tyers, but today I was tying some bead head burlap nymphs in various earth tone colors. They work well, and they are cheap to tie.
    Keep safe and stay healthy....Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY
      Thanks
      Phil I was in the Berkshires last week. I did not fish but the streams looked in good shape. It's good that you have some time for tying, and being frugal is a good trait. I have a bad feeling about fly tying materials taking a big hike in price.

      Delete