Tuesday, November 10, 2020

A Close Encounter.....

Some weeks back while Jeanette and I were wandering the Connecticut countryside we came upon a sight that was one of the most unusual that we have ever witnessed. Bald eagles have made Connecticut home for many years now. I have seen many of them in flight but never have I been up close to one. This eagle was on the ground and it appeared to be injured. It was dragging it's leg and walking with a side to side motion. As I approached, very carefully I might add it stared at me intently. The feeling I got from that stare was one of no fear. It seemed to accept that I was no threat but there was an intense stare of caution in the birds eye and mannerism. Several minutes passed and I was still unable to determine if it was injured. My thoughts at this point were to call DEEP or perhaps the local police who might refer my call to the proper agency. It was at that point that the eagle took flight and landed in a tree just above where I was standing.

 

 

It was then that I saw what the eagle was doing. It had made a kill and was attempting to hide it from me. That's why the dragging and covering of it with it's wing.
 

It remained steady in the tree just observing. It was then that I decided to walk away. I was close my friends and i can tell you that his eyes were focused on me like a laser. This was truly a close encounter....10 yards at most.
 


 Baked French onion soup. My goodness is there anything simpler or better. Beef broth, cooked onions, the best Worcestershire sauce and mozzarella cheese...careful it's hot...

 

23 comments:

  1. WOW brk trt, that eagle story is very cool. I've been close but not that close. I have many distant encounters over the years with the surrounding area where I live. The closest encounter was, I was fly fishing the upper Housatonic in Berkshire county. He was in a tree 20ft or so above me minding his business, and me mine. He was there for quite some time, but what a magnificent bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY
      Thanks
      Phil they are an awesome sight. Even from a distance it's special. Almost extinct they are almost common. The lower CT river area hold a eagle viewing area. Seems they winter in Seldon Island area.

      Delete
  2. They tend to stay focused on lunch, but personally I'd go for the onion soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      I'm with you buddy....he was eating a possum, inards first.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    I can't imagine gettig that close to an eagle; something you will never forget. I am guessing it came back after its kill. Delicious looking dish thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill it was a thrill for sure. After we started walking and were some yards away he flew down and took to eating again.

      Delete
  4. Alan,
    Very cool encounter. Good to hear that it was not injured and you had your camera with you. Mark Kautz's comment gave me a good laugh.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe i was happy that he was OK.
      Mark comes up with a good one most times.

      Delete
  5. Magnificent Eagle but they also like trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando they do enjoy a dinner of trout from time to time. But it's part of the natural world and that's OK...

      Delete
    2. Armando, are eagles common in your area?

      Delete
    3. Yes Alan, here we have the Aguila Mora, but it is smaller than that of North America, here we also have large birds such as the Andean Condor, with a wing power of 3 meters and 15 kilograms of weight ... beautiful birds that we take great care of.

      Delete
    4. Armando they should be offered all the protection they need to thrive with us. Precious...

      Delete
  6. The onion soup looks amazing, and I was ready for a tale musing about how shed eagle feathers might look in a kebari tie. Not that anyone -ahem- would condone such a thing of course. We see them here at our SE PA property especially when the creeks floods. Beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing such a rare moment.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin there were a few feathers on the ground but that's where they stayed. I guess that native Americans are the only people allowed to have eagle feathers in possession.
      The first time I saw an eagle was in PA. along the banks of the Delaware in the Water Gap in late winter many years ago.

      Delete
  7. Lovely soup that. And such a rare encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bureboyblog
      Thanks
      Soup is such a comfort at any time.

      Delete
  8. That is awesome! I have come across hawks doing the same thing and never managed to get pics that good. My hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris "Kiwi" Kuhlow
      Thanks
      Chris I will tell you I was a bit unsettled. Those talons are not to be taken lightly. Getting close was worth it though.

      Delete
  9. Hi Alan, how wonderful it is to have Bald Eagles coming back. I was in my 30's before I saw one in the wild. Now I see several per year, most recently driving over the Connecticut River bridge in East Hartford. I have not seen one that close though, truly a gift for you and your wife.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean F
      Thanks
      Dean there are a couple of eagles in the Rocky Hill area, just down river from East Hartford. There is also a nest built in the high tension power tower alongside of the Charter Oak bridge.

      Delete
  10. Great photos of the eagle, Alan. 30 or so years ago it was an amazing sight to see one around. Good news that they are flourishing again. Mass Wild Life publication did a great article on the eagles recently. Amazing how territorial they are, and they are tough on each other the way they compete for space.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam their comeback is quite a story. Many say that DDT caused a lot of the problems. Fishing along the Farmington the eagle is a common sight. I never knew they were territorial but it make sense.

      Delete