Saturday, July 10, 2021

Of big rivers, fly shops and Alder flies....

In my formative years when I first took an interest in fly fishing most of my knowledge came from "Outdoor Life"...a good magazine at that time circa 1974. So many of my flies which were purchased from a limited amount of sources as well as how they were used in situations came from that magazine. At that time the Farmington river was the closest trout river to me but it was not the Farmington river of today. My other choice of rivers was the Housatonic. It was the "casts eye" of that time and to many still is. It is a big river and it's reputation of giving up large trout was based on truth. The stretch of the Housatonic where I cut my teeth in the fly fishing world is pictured above. It pretty much looks the same today as it did back then.
 

 

The fly shop along the banks of the Housatonic. It is here where I like a human sponge learned so much about fly fishing and flies. A great shop that had a restaurant next door. Anglers would gather and talk of the mornings action. It was in that shop I first learned of the Alder fly. Until then I always thought an Alder was a tree. But back then the Alder hatch was one that brought those wary trout to the surface. It was where i purchased a couple of Alder flies. As I recall the fly may have been a Henryville Special, and today an Elk Hair caddis would do just fine.
 

We visited the area last week and came upon this small stream. I took out the Tiny Ten and drifted a fly along it's banks. It was at that time a gentleman came over and asked if I had any luck. I replied "a few strikes" but no hookups. He told me he was the landowner and said I was the first person he has seen fish here. It was about that time when I expected to be asked to leave, but that never happened. Instead he told me his grandkids cool off in the stream and they said they saw some big fish in there. We chatted for a spell and he then wished me good luck. I continued to fish for awhile but never had a hookup.
 

We saw this doe in the woods. She was quite taken by us being there. There is another game animal in the picture...can you see it?
 

We had lunch at this Country Market, which has been here forever. Different names of course. Good food.
 


 The "Alder"...kebari style...it should work as an emerger.

 

14 comments:

  1. is that a turkey head sticking up above the deer's back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan
    In my opinion, no place in the US can match the uniqueness of the New England area. When we were there four years ago, we were so impressed with the architecture, the way the history there is preserved, and the beautiful scenery.
    I hope we get to visit the area again in the coming years. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill New England does have it's charm. In many ways it's unique. I hope you do have the chance to return. Fall is a great time to be in New England.

      Delete
  3. Great photo! It took me awhile to spot the gobbler. Elsa left the streams running very high this morning although they were way down from yesterday when most had overspilled their banks and filled the surrounding forests. Lots of logs and big rocks got shifted around. It is a wonder that the fish either don't get swept away or stranded in the woods when the waters recede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn your right on the high water. Normally the small streams recede quickly but this time around they have not. I was out today and found the trout not willing to take a fly. Perhaps tomorrow. The high water had forced the fish to hold on the bottom.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Stories of the past are always interesting.

      Delete
  5. Hi Alan,

    The Housatonic looks like a 'big' river, if I was to turn up to it blind I would need some help to locate and find those big trout. That smaller stream looks more like my kind of fishing and altough the resient trout are probably smaller, I am sure I would have just as much fun catching them as hunting down the specimens in the Housatonic!

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair the Housy is big water and I don't fish it much. Like you I prefer the smaller intimate streams in which to pursue trout. It was fun looking back over the years.

      Delete
  6. Allen, thanks. I spent most of my free time on the Hous and vacinity when I lived in west ct. I remember the ORIGINAL fly shop and knew the owner. He sold out of the cellar of the house.
    Sadly, the place was sold, and the gent tried to make a go of it. He built cabins and ran the house as an inn. The economy killed it. No one bought and no one took the property at auction. The store used to be Baird's general. He sold a couple of years ago. Fortunately it was bought and we still have Housatonic Outfitters right across rte 7. The white fly hatch is coming up and is a blast to fish. Lots of smallie action. Rare for trout as the water is usually too warm. The Cornwall area is one of the best areas of CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John M Pavao
      Thanks
      John sadly in these times it is tough doing business. The white fly hatch you speak of is well known to the regulars of the Housatonic and the smallmouth bass fishery is well liked. That area is beautiful especially come fall.

      Delete
  7. Great times - spent so many days at the Housatonic Meadows fly shop during '74 - 80 or so. Beautiful valley - gorgeous river and the, at that time, most prolific and varied hatches that I ever witnessed. Oh, to wade those pockets again without anyone in sight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      Those were the years I spent my time on the Housatonic. The picture of the river was taken last week, the flow was very high and off color and that's why there are no anglers. Gorgeous part of CT.

      Delete