Saturday, August 7, 2021

The Joe Pye Bucktail

Joe Pye, a native American healer....he's responsible for using this beautiful flower in crafting medicine which aided many for various ailments. I'm sure he was thanked for that at the time. I appreciate this plant for it's reminder that we are moving toward a new season. I know it may not feel like it now but it is coming. With that in mind along with my love of simplicity both in life and in fly fishing I created a streamer honoring the man and his work. A little hint....streamers are a killer come Autumn, and they will work pretty well now too.
 

 

The "Joe Pye Bucktail"....Hook, Mustad 3665A #10...Body, Red Floss or Uni-Stretch...Tag and Rib, Flat Silver Tinsel...Throat, Yellow Hackle...Wing, Natural Bucktail.

You can tie this fly in larger sizes. Try to keep the bucktail sparse.
 


 

 

10 comments:

  1. very nice streamer. Here in western NY we have had very cool nights in August allowing for morning water temps of 60-62 degrees giving us an extended fishing opportunities. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave H
      Thanks
      Dave those cool nights have a big impact on trout survival. In streams with limited overhead shade to help cool them it's vital to have that cool night.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful places and beautiful fish. The colours on that fish are exquisite. ATB, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John exquisite is the word that fits so well.

      Delete
  3. Interesting plant. Looked up Joe Pye Weed on the net and it does have quite a few uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I always wondered how these healers came to find out the properties of native plants. Perhaps trial and error, or a higher influence.

      Delete
  4. This looks fantastic. I will add it to my list. Next up for me is the Hornberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn it works well on my local blue gill and bass population as well.
      The Hornberg is a great choice.

      Delete
  5. Maybe with squirrel or coyote for me in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill squirrel would work. The only problem it's so slippery.

      Delete