Sunday, October 17, 2021

Culverts, Peat Bottoms And "black bellied brookies"......

Can a guy who lives with brook trout, not that I actually live in the stream but one who feels I know them quite well can actually say that the last year has proven to me that I really do love my time in pursuit of these  wild creatures. A day afield is not a day anymore but more like an hour or two. The time has been reduced to compensate for some other issues in life. But that hour or two produces for me a finer understanding of all that surrounds small stream fishing. I know it has been said a thousand times that quality is better than quantity. I have live with this philosophy for many years and I could not believe how much of a reinforced philosophy it has become. Take a look about and enjoy it if only briefly.
 

 

Culvert pools, sometimes a big producer and sometimes a bust. This one with it's dark deep pool along with that "camo" white foam proved to be a good producer. After initial rejections I finally had a hookup.
 

Mr. Rapidan soft hackle nymph got it done.
 

One of Connecticut's peat bottomed streams. They are beautiful and hold some truly remarkable brook trout. They will produce what are referred to has "black bellied brookies"....in his book "Early Love And Brook Trout" James Prosek writes  of them.
 


 

 

16 comments:

  1. Alan,

    As I read your posts I've often wondered, how deep are those pools? Many times I've been fooled thinking a pool is only a foot deep and then finding out the hard way it's really four. Oh well, I guess that's part of the experience. Thank you for sharing these stunning photos.

    John V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John V
      Thanks
      John most times they are about a two foot depth, then there are the foolers where they over the top of your hippers. Getting wet is OK in warmer times.

      Delete
  2. WOW Alan,

    The colours on those Brookies are outstanding! We get very dark coloured Brownies in the small streams running off the peat beds of the North Moors (as opposed to the streams running of the limestone beds) but the colours are not a patch on those fish you have brought to hand!

    Take care and stay safe.

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair habitat diversity. I love the variations of color of trout that live in these waters.

      Delete
  3. Though only an hour or two, Alan, I am glad you can still get out. Every time I see a new post of yours it makes my day. I am in the same boat right now with fishing. I appreciate my times out though same as you. My very best to both you and Jeanette.

    Best, Sam

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam I'm fortunate to have multiple streams to fish and they are close by, within a half hour or so. Life deals us a hand and we can play it or fold. I like you choose to play. Appreciate and enjoy....

      Delete
  4. Alan
    The trout don't have to be biting when you have that kind of scenery to enjoy! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill your so right. Appreciation of all that's about is key.

      Delete
  5. Culvert pools. Awesome for catching, like the one on Cat Creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I think of the name Cat Creek and a post comes to mind. Awesome is a appropriate.

      Delete
  6. I spent an inordinate amount of time when I was young, trying to document the different coloring of brookies from different streams. I thought I was weird..., turns out I was just channeling you, 30 years early! Don't ever get old, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike weird is what we all did as yute's....it was part of what we are. But when you think back on it it was valuable. Just on this site I'll bet we as a group would craft one hell of a book of all the things we did to further enhance our passion of fly fishing. Put together I think it would be an Amazon best seller.
      Now getting old.....well.

      Delete
  7. Nice fish! There were some great colors on the brookies yesterday. Including those that came from the culvert pool at the end of my outing on a fantastic little stream on state land where I have yet to see a trace of another angler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn is not October truly the "glorious month"...wild brookies can be so stunning. A no angler state land stream, keep that one a secret, lucky fellow.

      Delete
  8. Alan - Great pictures of a shading on brookies I had never seen before - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat it's amazing the diversity in brook trout. You never know what's going to come out of a stream.

      Delete