Tuesday, November 9, 2021

A time of transition....

There is some transition going on within the small streams. First is the transition to colder waters brought on by the drop in both daytime and night time air temperatures. This has slowed the feeding activity to certain times of the day, which are the warmest. The second transition taking place is the post spawn. Most brook trout have already spawned and by the way it should be a very successful one with almost perfect stream conditions. These small transitions should last for a week or so and the trout will adapt and get on with their lives. 

An outing I had on Sunday was one that was not stellar in catch counts or hookups in general. The two brookies I managed to  hook I landed, and believe me I was more then happy.
 

 

The "fly"...if you can wrap thread and hackle you can tie this very successful fish catching fly. I've had this fly in the box for awhile and have used on and off through the summer. Brookies and bluegill have taken it. About the first of September I found myself using the fly more and i was catching more brookies. It's tied like this....A slightly elongated head of orange silk thread. Five wraps of brown badger hackle. This hackle is cheap, it comes from those little India chickens. A cape is about 8 bucks. The body and thorax are of dark brown 3/o Uni-thread. That's it.
 

When the fish are not playing nice there is still lots to see...
 

These sights are limited as the November starkness takes over.
 

This is one of the brookies I managed to bring to hand. What impressed me was the superb condition of this male. Post spawn and obviously well fed.
 


 

 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Alan

    That Brookie is quite the specimen, some amazing markings on the fellow.

    Take care & stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair as one of only two brookies to hand that day he was a stunner.

      Delete
  2. I love the colors (and the teeth) on that fish! The fly looks like something that I can put together and I look forward to giving it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn I see no issues in your ability to tie that fly. Now I'm waiting to see the results.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos as always, Alan. The male brook trout in the last photo is a seasoned survivor of many conditions the past few years. This year has been to his liking I trust with all the rain we have received. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam he is living in heaven compared to years past. They are tough as they come and it makes me feel good to know that nature is taking care of them. CT has a new wild trout program. I have to check into it some more.

      Delete