Wednesday, October 18, 2017

NW CT. And The Berkshires

My last couple of outings have been on some small streams in northwest Connecticut as well as the Berkshires of Massachusetts. I am familiar with these lovey streams and have had various results when fishing them. My last time here in this area was back in 2015. Upon my arrival I was thrilled to see ample water flowing. Apparently the area was blessed with more rain the last time.



It did not take very long for me to scatter the brookie. They were all over and soon they were gone at least from my sight. I worked various runs and riffles with a bit more stealth.


My cautious moves netted this male in spawning colors.


The streams were productive considering the bad years of 15and 16. The trout were scattered between pools and the riffles.


This stretch held a nice brookie, I would guess it to be 14 inches. He went for the fly but at the last second backed off and was not seen after.


But a little further upstream I connected with another fine jewel. I'll be back up this way before the snow flies, and I'll be looking for that 14 inch fellow.









16 comments:

  1. Alan
    Those photos are outstanding, and the first brookie all dressed up in the fall colors is just awesome. Looks like a very nice outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete he was a proper soul, and he knew his way around that stream.

      Delete
  2. Alan,

    I am pleased that little stream's brookies survived the drought of '15 and '16. That has to be tough fishing to avoid spooking them. Both that male brook trout and the waterfall are something else. The 14"er, that is a trophy for a stream that size, and by the sounds of his wariness, he got big for a reason.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam I had no idea what I would find in those streams, as it turned out I found a treasure. Yeah that guy was truly stream wise, next time I'll be more cautious.

      Delete
  3. Two areas I have yet to explore to my satisfaction... clearly I need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle
      Thanks
      Rowan there's some lovely streams up there. I do better on them come spring though.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful stream and fish Alan. It is amazing how tough those little Brook Trout are!
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair they never give up, and that is a good thing for their water conditions are not always the best.

      Delete
  5. Lovely little stream and beautiful brookies, Alan.
    It always heartening to see a stream recover after periods of extreme drought. In the last really bad drought in Australia a few years ago, the Grace Burn, which flows through my town in Healesville, Victoria, turned into a series of stagnant pools. I didn't give it much hope of recovering but it's now returned to being a very healthy little stream that's full of life. Mother Nature can be so resilient.
    Kindest Regards,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Hynes
      Thanks
      Steve when you see streams as you just described it makes your stomach sick. Fearing a nasty outcome of such droughts and seeing the fish return is truly a miracle.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    Wow!! 14" if anyone can entice that brook trout to hit, it would be you, hope you connect with him on your return visit. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I'll try, must not spook him first.
      It was fun just seeing a fish lie that.

      Delete
  7. I'd really like to know how one fishes in those small waters with all the growth around them. I complain about a few trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard fishing somewhat choked streams is not to hard, but a major requirement is the ability to slow it down. Also a good glass rod helps.

      Delete
  8. Stunning photography. Stunning. What beautiful country.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spike
      Thanks
      It's awesome around these parts come this time of year.

      Delete