Saturday, December 8, 2012

Orange Head Wets and a Special Trout

On Thursday plans were being made to fish together with Kirk, and Mark. When Friday rolled around the only one who was still in the hunt was me, and I wasn't sure about that. It was going to be a lousy day with rain a possibility. I had tied up these wet flies 'cause I don't fish nymphs, to use. I had a good experience with one similar that I had received in a fly swap.


As I arrived stream side there was ice forming on the branches near the water. The air had a feel of snow or a cold rain. Tossing the orange head wet fly into the slow pool upstream I felt a tug. Lifting I could feel the trout on...then off.


A few more casts and a brookie was at hand.


Right at the end of the riffle is where the trout were holding. A few inches above or below there seemed to be nothing.


It was at the end of that riffle where this brook trout took the fly. I love how the reflection of the tree branches showed in the photo....Small Stream Reflections.


Many times when this pool was approached two rather large trout were observed, but always managed to spook and retreated to the safety of the log. Today was a bit different though, one headed for the log and the other down stream. Knowing the one that went for the log was out of reach, but the one who chose to go the other way was might be able to be caught. After waiting sometime, motionless along the bank and observing the faster flow near an undercut,"what a place to hide and then sneak back to my pool kind of place". I sent the orange head wet into the current, as the water pulled it toward the bank the line stopped and the battle was on. The fish had awesome power and did several tail dances. My 2wt was put to the test this day.


When the trout lay in the still water at my hand I could not believe its beauty. As I lay my hand under its body and lifted it to photograph it seemed to have that look of "you won"...gently putting it back into the stream and watching it swim off to its log sanctuary I said no "you won", thanks for playing the game.


CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

33 comments:

  1. What a leopard of a rainbow !Really stunning! And the fly did the trick too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col,
      Thanks.
      They really picked up on the orange head.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alan...are those flies something that you thought up or can they be bought?

    Also, is that a brown trout? If it is, then I may head down to the river tomorrow where I know one hangs out.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its a brownbow! haha Nice photos

      Delete
    2. Ed,
      Thanks.
      These are of my own making, but I believe there is a similar that can be bought. It's called a Pumpkin Head Nymph. Matt Grobert ties one and has a great video on tying it. His site is "Caddis Chronicles"

      Delete
  3. fantastic colors on that bow...nice catch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brt Trt, nice post on your adventure. Hey that Brown/Bow has some strange & interesting colors and markings. It looks a little like a brown as well as a bow?

    I like the flies you used. Any chance you could post the recipe?

    Well done all around.........Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY,
      Thanks.
      There seems to be a bit of old mister brown in that fish.
      The materials are, any curved caddis hook...antron for the tail, and wing,...Aussie opossum for the dubbing, and Uni Fire Orange thread.

      Delete
    2. Hey, sounds easy for a very productive fly. Thanks for the recipe Brk Trt.....Phil

      Delete
  5. I Will always love Brook trout more than any other but that rainbow is very impressive. I really like that fly too....any chance to get a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      I just posted the material list above.
      I'll bet it would work well tied Kebari style.

      Delete
  6. You have quite the knack of catching the rare inhabitants of the stream. Nice job. I won't let a sore elbow deter me next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RKM,
      Thanks.
      Strange what might turn up in those streams. A painful elbow, I'd stay home too. Plenty of time to fish later. Get well.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    Absolute stunning rainbow, that is one of your better trout on the small stream. Only you can experience the thrill of landing such a beauty, the rest of use can enjoy the moment and wish we were there. Another outstanding post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Its condition, and the colors were a real pleasure to see.

      Delete
  8. Well done Alan, that's a magnificent looking rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alan!

    What a lovely trout! It's amazing what can hide in a small stream. Thanks for sharing!

    Friendly greetings from a cold Sweden,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jassid Man,
      Thanks.
      Small streams can produce a real surprise at times.
      Stay warm.

      Delete
  10. The rainbow was probably saying, "thanks, mister, for rescuing me from this crazy, powerful bug."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tenkara ambassador,
      Thanks.
      There's a serious thought. What the hell was that, not to eat that again.

      Delete

  11. That is a great looking little bug and the fish are wonderful as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midgeman,
      Thanks.
      Pretty simple, and so far it works.

      Delete
  12. Great fly! I saw that on the blogroll and thought - now that's a brookie killer! I love it when my 2w bends in half under the power of am unexpected catch. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel D,
      Thanks.
      Orange and a little sparkle..brookie killers. 2wt's are wonderful small stream rods.

      Delete
  13. Nice job ! Sorry I wasn't able to make it yesterday. Thought about calling you this am but I figured you would think I was crazy for heading out in the rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      That's OK buddy. I almost didn't go myself, not the best weather.
      From your blog you did well..good thing you ventured out.

      Delete
  14. First off, just let me quickly say that I admire your photographs. The one with the "small stream reflections" is a great shot. Secondly, don't you just love it when you tie up a bug to try and you have immediate success with it. Good looking Wet fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel Moore,
      Thanks.
      I just love how that photo came out. It's a good feeling when a fly does what you hoped it would.

      Delete
  15. Alan, you're post made me smile...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i like your closing paragraph. nice.

    ReplyDelete