Monday, March 11, 2013

Brook Trout And Yellow Bucktail

We enjoyed another snow storm Friday, reminding us it's still winter. Depending on where you live in the state you received from 4 to 20 inches of snow. Saturday dawned sunny and bright with air temps into the 50's, and the melt began.

I could not fish Saturday, but I was able to get some free time yesterday, and took advantage of it. I arrived at the stream around 10:30, or 11:30 or whatever. The change in time to day light savings will have things screwed up some for awhile. The sun was doing its work and the air felt good. The stream was up and somewhat and off color from the melting snow. As I walked along the stream to my first location I looked for any surface activity or the presence of insects, either in the air or on the ground. There was no trace. I tied on a Picket Pin and began fishing. I worked the stream in various locations without so much as a bump. Several other flies used brought the same result. Perhaps the snow melt was the reason. After stopping for a spell to eat an apple, I chose to tie on a streamer. After several casts into a deep pool I noticed a trout follow the streamer. A half hour later, and several other streamers there was no hookups.

I tied on a yellow wing bucktail, with some red for a head dress and sent it off to hunt. Several slow drifts later and fish on. Soon a wonder of a wild brook trout lay at my hand. As I photographed its beauty in the water I said to myself, yellow and red= brook trout. I was able to bring another to hand, and tempt one who had a move or two and escaped. It was a great day.




Wild brook trout, in very healthy condition


A simple bucktail


CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

25 comments:

  1. Hi Alan!

    I can see that you had a lovely time at the stream. Here we've had some sunny days too but freezing though. Lovely brookie you caught! The streamer looks like a little "Mickey Finn". Here I have to wait to be able to fish but spring is getting closer. Thanks for sharing!

    Friendly greetings,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jassid Man,
      Thanks.
      Wonderful. The fly is an Light Edson Tiger. It has a peacock herl body, yellow bucktail wing with a splash of red hackle.

      Delete
  2. You must not be as tired of winter as I am if you "enjoyed" another winter snowstorm!
    Those little creeks are beautiful with a covering of snow on the ground though , looks like another fine day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher,
      Thanks.
      Tired of it for sure. A little creek and a little snow, quite the scene.

      Delete
  3. Good job finding the fly they were interested in !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      Fished quite a few before hitting the one.

      Delete
  4. Very nice outing! I love fishing streamers this time of year. Glad it produced for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Knapp,
      Thanks.
      As the water clears this time of year it seems they want a big meal.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    What beauty in these photos---awesome looking stream and yes that brown is colorful. Thanks for sharing some great images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      The stream is a gem. Love fishing it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful stream and colorful brookie. I haven't fished the Edson Tiger yet (dark or light), but will add it to the arsenal. Alan - what hook do you prefer tying the Edson Tiger on?

    -Long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long Nguyen,
      Thanks.
      I fish the light more, seems to produce better.
      I tie them on Mustad 3665A, and 79580. usually in sizes 8 and 10. Tie them on the sparse side.

      Delete
  7. Me and a freind slayed them last night on a fly very similar. It was using squirrel tail instead of buck tail. The rest of the fly was exactly the same as yours. The fish went crazy for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin Frank,
      Thanks.
      From what your describing it sound like a winner. Squirrel tail has a nice effect underwater.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful shots. What is it about yellow and bucktail that they go together so well? And that title is a poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Yaussy Albright,
      Thanks.
      They sure bring out the best at times.

      Delete
  9. Well done Alan, a fine reward for sticking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brian,
      Thanks.
      There are times when it pays to try other flies.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos! Love the greens that are happening in you neck of the woods. The trout ain't bad looking, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey,
      Thanks.
      The colors are turning to spring.

      Delete
  11. Drift a Hornberg through that spot in the first photo. Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks. I won't ask.......I think I saw that show.

      Delete
  12. I really find your winter fishing shots to be particularly satisfying too me. Those trout from the cold water are beautifully colored. Once again, kudos my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Chaser,
      Thanks.
      Very late winter, and early spring can give some really nice contrasts.

      Delete
  13. Is that the Mianus? I hooked a Wild Brookie on a Wooly Bugger in the upper Norwalk River in Georgetown. It was truly amazing. The Brown Trout have taken over now, reducing the Brook Trout population to 10% of what it could have been during the Colonial era, before Browns and Rainbows were introduced. Something tells me there were some Atlantics migrating up the Norwalk 300 years ago, easily. What you have found and showed in this blog are treasures that should be kept secret. Best of luck with the fishing! Catch some more Brookies!

    ReplyDelete