Wednesday, June 26, 2019

These are the times....

The stream was full, the flow was so sweet. The stream did it's best to conceal the little jewels that darted into the heavy cover of the thick foliage that lined the streams bank. The angler armed with his little glass rod and a few black ants tried his best to coax a brook trout to rise to the offering. This has played out several times in the past few days and for the most part the anglers ant has done it's job.



What a fine specimen, a true work of art.


My goodness man, your not serious about casting in such a place. Why no, I'll just get far enough upstream and let the fly just drift with the current. There are times when such a method has worked.


And this was one of them. What beautiful times these are.







11 comments:

  1. Just wonderful to see the colors on those fish. Thanks for sharing Alan.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe the colors were striking. Just a few yards downstream I caught a super dark one. Seems like there are no two alike.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post as usual Alan. Took my Tenkara rods out for a little exercise yesterday. For a change I only fished a couple of hours but what fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      I can see the value and enjoyment in Tenkara on a small stream. Do you use Tenkara flies?

      Delete
    2. sometimes, you've got me using Bombers too. :-) I use eggs sometimes. with the Tenkara (actually Seiryu) rod, a tiny strike indicator and barbless EVERY fish is lip hooked. I can't remember the last fish that was hooked inside the mouth. Very easy releases.

      Delete
  3. You've just got to fish every little nook and cranny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little brookie jewels, Alan.
    After reading about your preferred and successful downstream drift on small streams, I'm thinking of giving it a serious try when our Victorian trout streams reopen in September. I gave it a few goes at the tail end of the last season and, while I didn't hook any trout, I was very surprised how close I could approach rising fish from upstream. I think I spooked less fish overall. Possibly the moving, rippled surface hid my approach better than with even my most heron like upstream casting method. Besides, I found wading downstream much easier than heading upstream!
    Thanks again for taking us along with you.
    Kindest Regards,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve
      Thanks
      The downstream drift has been the most successful way of taking trout in small streams for me. So very seldom do I fish any other way. It's better when you have a bit more water flows but even in low water I prefer it. Spooking fish I have that down too.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Tight places to cast, but the reward is worth the effort. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill a little challenge puts back the adventure...I love it.

      Delete