Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The "Futsu Kebari" and Other Musings

In this photo you can see a waterfall. The stream that flows above this gorge that is the spillway of the Hogback Res. is a stream that I have fished twice. I was told that it never dries up and it's flow is pretty consistent. The times I fished it I caught some beautiful brookies, but what I most remember is the trek into that stream. I was a lot younger and now that I'm writing this I get pains in the knees and my backside from sliding down the ridges. It's a stream I would gladly share with an adventurous soul. There are some awesome views back there.

 

 

The Futsu Kebari...I think that's what these flies are called. A simple thread body and hackle. The thread is silk and it's wrapped with a somewhat large long head. The hackle is dry fly rooster wound on using 3-4 turns. Even though the hackle is dry fly, the fly itself is a wet fly. There is probably a reason for it but I'm not certain of it.
 

Here is a Futsu Kebari tied using a dubbed body. The dubbing used is a  mix of life cycle nymph dubbing and Shetland spindrift wool, "thanks Lou"...this fly was featured in a post not long ago.
 

This orange blonde Futsu Kebari was a killer for me the other day. What surprised me was the amount of salmon parr-smolts that this fly brought to me.
 

Are you ready for some brown trout? These guys are really showing up.
 

16 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of tying a few of those up, now I need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Get to it buddy. I have been having a lot of fun both tying these and fishing them. Poking around trying to find some history on these flies.

      Delete
  2. Alan, Fantastic looking flies and they'd do a job anywhere. Absolutely splendid. that stream looks like an explorers dream, is there deeper water above the cascade? I'm convinced I can see it but maybe it's the imagination at work, but that's what gets you up there. Stay safe, John
    PS I know what you mean about the knees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John above the falls the stream is a typical mountain water. It has riffles and some deep pools. One has a great deal to look at and for along it's course. Now I leave it to those better suited for the rigors of mountain climbing.

      Delete
  3. Nice Brown for such a small stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark this time of year some of the bigger fish will show up at these small streams looking to spawn. So you never know.

      Delete
  4. What a picturesque stream, with beautiful flies to go with it. There is something so attractive in the simplicity of the futsu kebari. It seems the trout feel the same! I will have to go looking for this little stream and hope that I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Fly Fisher
      Thanks
      I love the simplicity and effectiveness of these flies. The North Country spiders are also a favorite of mine.
      I'll post directions to that stream.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    The scenery is sometimes missed when one is fishing; which is one of the reasons, aside from landing fish, that being outdoors is so rewarding. Nice brown trout taken, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the place is as important to me as the fish taken. In our thoughts we remember the fish but the place comes in a very close second.

      Delete
  6. I'd like to volunteer as a pack mule for that spot, or any others you've an interest in sharing!
    Haha, Natty and I a hungry for new spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan Camp
      Thanks
      Nate it a rough place at least for me. But knowing you I feel you can handle it.

      Delete
  7. Alan, last time I was up at that dam area I wondered if anyone ever fished that brook spillway. That question is answered now. How in the world did you get down in there? A beautiful brown, Alan. It appears to be a wild one don't you think?

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam I have never fished the spillway, but I have fished the brook above the falls. I would imagine a few fish from the Farmington could get into the portion below the falls, but above the falls it's all brookies. A wild one for sure.

      Delete
  8. I don't get those hooks here, ... Kebari flies look good tied, because that name ... Futsu .. ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando the place to get the hooks is online.
      https://fireholeoutdoors.com/

      The flies work well.

      Delete