Tuesday, December 22, 2020

A Winter Stream In Brook Trout Forest

Winter is here now and living with it has to be accepted. There are times when it can be downright nasty and unforgiving. There will be spells where it is relentless throwing every it can at us. This is why  most folks do not acquire a taste for the last season of the year. BUT.....there are times when winter outings can be wonderful. One such outing took place yesterday. We had a sizeable snow event last week and it left a lot of white fluffy snow on the ground along with a cap on most everything else.

As I walked through the woods to a spot where I could easily access the the stream I could not find a place within the forest that did not offer a beautiful sight. There were trees that were decorated in a natural topping of snow. Winter birds were about and actually stayed put for a few seconds to allow me to view them. The air was still, not really cold so I was able to enjoy what was around me.

 

 

I was armed with my "Tiny Ten" and a few flies. Among the soft hackles were a few nymphs. Just along the submerged log I had a brookie move to the surface for a soft hackle that I was about to lift out of the water. In winter fishing you take that little rise as an achievement of your day. That being said I continued to drift flies along that log. Eventually I had a brookie take. Although on only a short time I could see the beautiful color that little guy exhibited.
 

Busting through the brush was not as bad as it looks. The snow was soft and did not cling to my boots. One slight issue was the snow deposits that fell from the trees and found there way down my neck.
 

To this point I had not brought a single brookie to hand. Then along came this lovely spot. It is a place that is "classic" within "brook trout forest"...The fly was worked through the riffle and pool. On one drift the line moved and I set the hook. The trout headed for the bottom and cover that it knew was there. But the "Tiny Ten" held up and turned him to me.
 

A fine creature from the winter stream. He had looked like he recovered well form the spawn. Notice how long his fin is, that's where his strength comes from.
 

"Simple" is my friends....
 

16 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      And a Merry Christmas to you and yours. Enjoy and be safe.

      Delete
  2. Alan,
    Wonderful setting. The water always looks so dark and rich when there is snow about.
    Merry Christmas.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe the stream was clear that day, but now with the warm temps and snow melt I'm sure it will become discolored.
      Merry Christmas..

      Delete
  3. It always amazes me that when the snow settles it gets so quiet that it's almost loud. Looks like a nice snowfall. 10 maybe 12 inches. Since Friday is Christmas, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (just in case I forget). Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark quiet can be deafening. Great when it's light and fluffy. Merry Christmas and a better New Year...

      Delete
  4. We don't get much snow, and rarely a foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bureboyblog
      Thanks
      My friend this is just the start. I can ask Santa to send you some.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    The Tiny Ten would have been my selection for this epic journey. Absolute awesome images all worthy of framing. How deep was the snow near the stream you were fishing? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the Tiny Ten fit perfectly on this outing. The snow was probably around 12" and some drifts were in the 16" range.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan, our year old pup loves the cold. He had me out in that storm with wind driven snow on and off all day, I just can’t tell him no. Today is my last day of work until the new year which means unless things go horribly wrong I won't have to turn on this damn computer for a while. Your blog is a sanity break for me at work. Thank you and have a Merry Christmas sir!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean F
      Thanks
      Dean don't you just love that. I do miss my dogs doing much the same.
      You have my blessing...no computers or television. My Christmas Eve will have the Godfather on until it's time for bed.
      Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful thanks for transporting us to a special place! Tiny Ten does it again!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin the Tiny Ten has won a spot in my rotation. It's really perfect in certain streams.

      Delete
  8. Alan, A beautiful place enhanced by the conditions. Absolutely splendid. All the best and stay safe, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John fresh snow in a woodland setting really puts the mind at ease. Keep your guard up mate.

      Delete