Sunday, December 20, 2020

Some streamer stuff....

Mickey Finn Cove....located in the West branch Reservoir aka "Hogback"....This area is where I caught a spectacular brook trout one day. The sky sort of overcast, no wind and a few small mouth bass in the shallows. Hogback is known to hold some very respectable brown trout and that is what I was looking for that day. I tied on a Mickey Finn and worked that streamer in every way I knew how. Fast, short slow jerking near the surface and near the bottom. To the point on one of the retrieves I took a good hit. The fish fought hard taking me some time to get control. As the fish neared I could see it was a trout, not a brown but a brook. I fish this spot several times a year and I have yet to be disappointed.

 

The Mickey Finn bucktail. It has the colors needed to attract trout and salmon. Another story. While visiting a fly shop in Oquossoc Maine. The shop is located at the outlet of Rangeley lake. A young boy about 12 was fishing from a dock. He was using a Mickey Finn. There was a lot of yelling coming form the dock. When we went out to see what it was about we saw that boy with a salmon of 20".
 

This streamer pattern was found in an article about streamers used in the Adirondack's. I have never fished it, and I don't know why. Perhaps this winter.
 

A "simple minnow"...Jack Gartside influence all over this one. I learned so much from him in such a short time. I have never caught a trout on this fly , but plenty of bass and snapper blues.
 

 

11 comments:

  1. I regret that I got rid of my copy of "Streamers and Bucktails the Big Fish Flies" by Bates. It was a great book. Nice photo below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill that book is the "bible" of streamers. Extremely accurate. Lot's of Connecticut people in that book.

      Delete
  2. Alan,
    Mickey Finn Cove looks like a beautiful spot.
    I think I'll try some Mickey Finns on the steelhead and see what they think of them.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe a real nice spot. I don't see why a Mickey Finn would not work on steelhead. Try casting the MF upstream and strip as fast as you can downstream....

      Delete
    2. Joe check this out....your steelhead Mickey Finns

      https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-streamers/mickey-finn

      Delete
  3. Jack Gartside certainly left an impression, didn't he. He was the first fly tier that made me sit up and pay attention. Love your Mickey Finn cove; beautiful water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike the guy was "real" and for a starting fly tyer he was so understanding and supportive. Peaceful is Mickey Finn cove.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see that piece of water still open, Alan. Glad you connected with a good one. Not too far north of your position ponds are icing over, much to the delight of ice fishermen I imagine. 40's later on this week may compromise that ice, but I am sure that little thaw will be short lived at this point.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam I would assume that icing up will take place on most ponds. Ice fishing is something I enjoyed at one point in my life.
      Looks like a moderating trend in temps, maybe I'll try my luck today.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    I think a lot of fly fishermen get locked in on dries and nymphs and sometimes forget that there are a third pattern for trout and warm water fly fishing. I am guilty of that myself. I could see a hungry trout or smallmouth taking a streamer in the Mickey Finn Cove. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill choosing only one type of fly does put limits on what you can accomplish on the water. Try a dry in January, a streamer in July, have fun...

      Delete