Thursday, December 17, 2020

Let it snow, we have soup and soft hackles...

It's snowing and blowing here in New England. A classic nor'easter my friends. Looking out the window on the deck I estimate a good 14"...with drifts that surpass that. There will be no fishing today and instead some soup and fly tying. There is a French word for a group of vegetables that one uses for a soup base. The name is hard to spell so please forgive me for omitting it. But as you can see there is a group of items that is the base for soup we Italians use, at least this Italian. Celery, onion and garlic with olive oil. Later other vegetables will be added along with some soup pasta and it will make for a fine soup that will be perfect for a day like this. I tied some soft hackle flies in the Valsesiana style. Now from what I have seen of these flies they are pretty much like Tenkara flies. Well here is my take on these centuries old flies.

 

 

Olive silk thread dubbed lightly with hares ear dubbing. The hackle used is grouse.
 

Purple silk thread dubbed with squirrel dubbing. A peacock herl collar and gray partridge hackle.
 

Orange silk thread dubbed with dark rabbit fur. The collar is also rabbit. The hackle is woodcock.
 


 

 

16 comments:

  1. Alan
    Certainly a day to not venture out; us folks down south never get snow like you guys are getting there, post a few images on your next post. Stay warm and enjoy that soup.
    Forgot, why are the soft hackles flies tied inverted for the Tenkara Fishing??----thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the snow looks pretty, but I feel for those who have to deal with it. I think the reversed hackles are so that when retrieved they pulsate in the current as opposed to conventional tied soft hackles which lay flat against the hook shank. I find success in both styles.

      Delete
  2. Is there other vegetables that are used for soup base? Those are the same ones my wife uses. Can't have too much garlic or onions in soup. No snow down this low, but about the same as you're getting at the top of the hill. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark carrots are a good addition to a soup base. Garlic and onions are very tasty and a must as far as I'm concerned. No playing in the snow for me.

      Delete
  3. Usually the snow lands here; you hit the jackpot this time. We got nothing. Blue sky and sun the entire time. Unfortunately, it was also -6 below most of the day. Cooking and fly tying! Two of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike those coastal storms if they set up in the right place can dump a lot of snow. The winds were bad with this one too. Cold is a lot tougher to deal with, as least for me.

      Delete
  4. Still no snow in the SE Mn Driftless. It's supposed to be in the 40s Monday so I'll be heading down to Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dpnoll
      Thanks
      David temps in the forties should make for some good action. Good luck...let us know.

      Delete
  5. Hi Alan

    No snow here in Yorkshire (yet), but I was up in Scotland for work on Monday and Tuesday and there was just a hint of it on the highest peaks....

    The missus sorts out our soup, I will stick to the fly tying!

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Up until this storm it has been quiet here with exception for cold temps. All's well here mate.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Bureboyblog
      Thanks
      I knew you would enjoy the soup story...

      Delete
  7. Alan, I am glad to see you made the most of a snowy day for fly tying and soup making. Soup is a staple with Bev and me this time of year. Christmas eve day looks promising temperature wise. I aim to get out for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam a nice pot of soup simmering on the stove just seems to put a good feeling in us. Pretty cold this morning. I hope a warming trend brings up the temps. Steelheaders tell me that a couple of degrees in the water can turn on the bite.

      Delete
  8. Alan,
    Simple, yet delicious ingredients in both the soup and your patterns! I am enjoying them both very much!
    I watched the storm system roll up thru your area and wondered if you guys were getting blasted (weather wise that is!)....It sounds as if you were!
    Did you lay in a store of Italian bread to go along with the soup? Talk about team mates!! Alan, you always thrill us with the simple things in life! We thank you for that!
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug someday we all are going to get together and enjoy good food, good flies and good stories.
      My bakery is right up the street so fresh bread is always at hand.

      Delete