Friday, February 12, 2021

It's cold outside. Pick up a book....

Little Rivers, a book written over a century ago is responsible for my inspiration in writing this post. I am always amazed by how much anglers and writers knew about what happens along the banks of a small stream. It must have been their passion for all of nature that caused them to seek these happenings and then to write about them. I would like to add that their writing was articulate, precise and thought provoking. In reading Little Rivers I have found references to what is natural and how to apply that which is natural to the world of angling and fly tying. It's said that if you take the time to observe and listen to you wild surroundings it will teach you more than you'll ever learn from a book or a class.

The enjoyment I derive from reading these old books can not be measured. It will always hold my interest to learn what these anglers knew and try to put them in my 21st century goings on.



If you look at the words behind the flies you'll see what inspired me to tie them. The words are eloquent.

Again the words carry forth my vision in the flies tied.

And on this page it was clear that the writer was speaking of brook trout when the words were written. The flies speak to the brook trout in their color and design.





 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Alan

    It is cold here in yorkshire as well, we dropped to -7 deg C (33.8 deg F) on the cost with - 10 deg C (14 deg F) further inland. Braemar in Scotland recorded -20 deg C (-4 deg F)!

    I do like the look of those flies, especially the last one - I think the grayling will be partila to that pattern later in the year when things warm up a bit more.

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair that is cold. I was able to tolerate cold when I was younger but now it settles into every joint in my body. The last one is similar to the Royal Coachman. Sounds as if your Grayling are like our brookies.

      Delete
  2. Great post Alan. Nice ties as well. The other shoe will drop this weekend for us, highs in the 20's and snow. Did get some time in on the river yesterday though and it was a nice day with sun and a few bought to hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill that sounds like winter is setting in. Man I can't wait for some moderation. I was out today and after 10 minutes I headed for the car.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to have Alistair's 33 above right about now. I woke up Wednesday to -18 below (F). It didn't get a whole lot better. I have a copy of 'Little Rivers', I haven't opened it up in a long time; I'll have to give it a look again. Thanks for reminding us of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      -18 I can feel that cold all the way here. It's a good little book.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing Alan, always looking for a book to read. I like the inspired ties, matching the hatch of the particular flowers in bloom at any given time. I think there is a book out there which ties the mayfly hatches to the flowers then in bloom, as opposed to the calendar. Spring, come quick!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Keven good books are an inspiration to me in many ways. They are also great to reread which I also enjoy. Flowers in bloom, what a wonderful thought.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Some of the best color combos you're tied for the Soft Hackle patterns. Hope you guys make through this blizzard. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill here in CT. the main issue is ice. They are calling for significant freezing rain. I would deal with snow any day as opposed to freezing rain.

      Delete
  6. Alan, Now that looks like a properly produced book. Beautiful typesetting and initial letter. That's a delightful looking'Union Church' too. Then there's the flies... Stay safe John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John those older publications were beautiful. The book is a bit of art. That log church has some wonderful history. perhaps one day I'll do a post on it.

      Delete
    2. Alan, please do, but only when the streams are in spate. ATB, John

      Delete
  7. It's true Alan, to think that in the past everything was to be created and to invent something new every day, it was wonderful, today we have everything served. Here in my region of the Argentine Patagonian zone we are with 33 degrees of heat, 92 degrees of yours .... it is too hot, you can not go fishing, we will have to wait until March ... a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando I tend to favor the old days. For me that is but 65 years. 92 that is hot. We are a long way from that. Do the nights cool off?

      Delete
  8. In Patagonia, where I am at the moment, if it gets cool at night, according to the northernmost dry region of the country it doesn't cool, you can't sleep ... we are having very hot summers ..

    ReplyDelete