Monday, March 29, 2021

The "Trickle"....

The next time you drive or walk over one of those little flows of water stop a moment and peer in. The small spring seep with a few pools is one I have visited many times. On most occasions I see a frog, maybe a snake and a few minnows, but there are times when I see a few rise forms. It is when I see the rise that I try to follow up a bit and check them out. Most times what ever is rising has left the area, where they go is beyond me. I have long said that brook trout can survive in almost no water, as long as what water there is is below 70 degrees. The trickle you see here is about the same all year. it's flows may increase some in times of heavy rain but it soon reverts back to what you see here. There are some springs that feed ground water into it and that helps to keep the waters cool.

On this day the rises were pretty consistent and what was hatching had to be small for I could not see anything. Where the "trickle" flows under the trail there is a culvert. The culvert was placed in there with the fish in mind. It was designed to allow a natural unobstructed way for the fish to move up and down as needed.
 

 

 

As I peered through the  tangles I saw this fellow hanging out on the culvert. I was certain he saw me but he made no effort to flee. I'm certain he is not a resident of the "trickle" but instead migrated up from the larger stream in which the "trickle" empties. My question is, why would a brook trout leave the security of a larger body of water to ascend into a little "trickle"? Another mystery surrounding the brookie.
 

 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark they are. Only I wonder why leave food and safety for the unknown.

      Delete
  2. As Mark said above..

    Some streams around here have feeders that only flow this time of year and I've seen fish in them. Not always trout, but fish nonetheless. I love finding those little guys in the unlikely spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan Camp
      Thanks
      Nate those seasonal streams can really surprise you. Yes finding something you don't expect is always a treat.

      Delete
  3. G'Day Alan,
    A few years ago, here in Victoria, Australia, a 12 pound ex brood trout was found dead in a tiny trickle. It would have been released in a much larger water such as the Goulburn River, a long way down stream. For some reason this large fish had made its way up into the tiny trickle. Obviously the urge to procreate is powerfully strong even in a hatchery reared trout.
    Kindest Regards,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve
      Thanks
      Wow, 12 lb fish in a tint creek. Steve Hows the flooding in your area?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will they sure do have Moxie. I love their tenacity.

      Delete
  5. I'd like to think they go out exploring new water, just as we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike you may be right. But that takes some guts.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    Everytime I drive across a creek or river I always have to look, wonder why??? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill most times you'll find a good fish lurking there.

      Delete
  7. Hi Alan,

    It really is amazing where trout will show up. In the village I grew up in on the edge of North Yorkshire, there is a small trickle (Merry Lockwood Gill) that was packed with tiny Brownies which me and my school mates would catch by hand back in the 80's. Unfortunately the population (which had survived the ravages of local iron stone mining from the mid 19th century) was wiped out in the mid 90's when a careless pig farmer let the contents of his effluent tanks run into the water course! He was prosecuted, but that did not bring back the trout.

    Fortunately, however, there are quite a few other trickles a bit further afield that still contain their trout.

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair that is a shame. A careless mistake and a fishery is gone. I love fishing those little trickles. Most times it is most difficult. But when your able to place a fly down it is swiftly taken.

      Delete
  8. Alan,
    This is a beautiful entry of the many you produce in a years time! I really like the picture of the brookie fining near the culvert you mentioned! Yes, why such a big fish (relatively speaking) in a "trickle"? This is very compelling stuff and I love it when you bring it to us thru your talented lens and blog entries! I like hunting for Smallmouth Bass on small streams in my area! I get a particular kick out of those unlikely spots that everyone else passes up! Subtle changes in water depth often hold some interesting surprises! Ahh, the mysteries of this sport!
    Thank you Alan for once again bringing us along of a wonderful romp to some very beautiful places!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug I have found some very willing bass and bluegills in some of the streams I fish. They are a blast to catch. Hope your fishing days in Ohio start soon.

      Delete