Monday, August 30, 2021

Changes And Mr. Rapidan Soft Hackle Nymph

The month of August is about to leave and September is looking to make it's debut. But the signs of Autumn are already making an appearance. Driving down a road in north west Connecticut one can see the leaves taking on some early color. The cool nights of September will speed up the color. I'm looking forward to the fall season.
 

Somewhere on the internet while searching for something I came across a fly I had no knowledge of. The fly was called the Mr. Rapidan soft hackle nymph. Harry Murray is credited with the Mr. Rapidan series of flies, the dry fly is a favorite of mine. One of the distinguishing characteristics of the Mr. Rapidan series is the orange wing. The soft hackle nymph uses that orange color in the thorax of the fly.

I have been unable to get the accurate materials list any where so in the next few days I'll reach out to Harry Murray and try and get it along with some info on the fly.
 

 

I have tied a couple of variations. The image I used was from Murrays website which features the flies photo. Not knowing what the dubbing was I put together my version of what it was. The thorax is orange dubbing and the hackle is a grouse feather. Now hopefully Harry can tell me the recipe and I can adjust. This fly has been fished and with good success.
 

This is the dubbing mix I used. It is part hares mask and SLF Squirrel.
 

 

11 comments:

  1. First thing you've posted in a while without a picture of a river. :-) It sent me to looking at Murry's fly shop. I remember I used to have his Smallmouth book back in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill the soft hackle fly is listed on the site, but no mention of the materials. Smallmouths are a big part of his shop-guiding. I remember him featuring a Mr. Rapidan bass skater fly.

      Delete
  2. Well tied Alan! I poked around the net (slow workday so far) and couldn’t find a published recipe from Harry Murray either. Your version certainly looks just like the photos from Murray’s web page. I’m pretty sure the dubbing composition won’t matter too much to the trout because, well that would be splitting hairs- pun intended. Flies tied with varying amounts of orange have always been very productive for me in the Autumn here in New England. The Mr. Rapidan looks especially good!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean F
      Thanks
      Dean it's a bit odd that there is no mention of this fly anywhere on the net, at least that I have found. It sounds like you to hit a wall. Like you state the fly I tied is close enough to the picture, and the local stream dwellers like it. I'm looking to some cool fall fishing.

      Delete
  3. Alan, do you "noodle" the squirrel/hare dubbing onto the thread, or do you use a dubbing loop? and, in what proportions do you mix the squirrel and hare? 1:1 or some other ratio? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      I noodle the dubbing. I mix about 75 percent squirrel and 25 percent hare.

      Delete
  4. I love having squirrel in the dubbing mix even with hare's ear nymphs. The guard hairs make for legs sticking out especially when a little velcro is taken to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam when that spiky mix is teased with velcro it seems to come alive. All that movement just speaks of life to a trout.

      Delete
  5. I did a search for the fly. I found a pattern listed here.
    https://fightmasterflyfishing.com/index.php/category/wet-flies/
    Murray's fly shop sells a tying kit for the fly.
    https://www.murraysflyshop.com/products/mr-rapidan-soft-hackle-fly-tying-kit
    They also have an article on the fly family and a video on the fly.
    https://www.murraysflyshop.com/pages/the-wonderful-mr-rapidan-fly-family
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-PM9ydRxI
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Richard great info there. The first link has it all. I have seen the video which is very good.

      Delete
  6. Alan,
    I like your version of the Mr. Rapidan soft-hackle nymph! It doesn't get much simpler than this! Exquisite squirrel hair dubbing (both components) and a wrap of beautiful grouse hackle! Thank you for bringing this pattern to us!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete