Wednesday, September 1, 2021

The Leaper


 Salmo Salar, "the leaper"...the name given one of our greatest fish. My experience with these has been with the landlocked version and a few broodstock. The fact that they leap when hooked is an understatement, they go totally insane. I've had some leap three times in succession and then run downstream like a corvette and then leap again. A strong focused and very determined adversary.

This post is not about Atlantic salmon but it is about a leaper. This leaper is Salvelinus Fontinalis, "brook trout"...while not known for their leaping abilities they will on occasion surprise you with a jump, and I emphasize "a".....The morning was overcast and the stream full. The large boulders along the banks made it difficult for the 75 year old knees. I love these streams but now only fish them once and awhile. I started fishing a bomber, and for the first time I tied on a dropper, soft hackle. The first few casts were well made and no issues were had. Then I had a rise to the bomber and as I tried to set the hook he was off. I continued to fish for a spell and my combo was not well received. I chose to remove the dropper and just fish the dry. That did not go well either, no response. I then went to the soft hackle all by itself and things picked up. It's a confidence thing and when you fish certain flies one way and have success you tend to stick with that method.

 

The first brookie of the morning. A spunky little guy who by judging from the size of his belly had been eating quite well.
 

The flowers and such that are blooming now show signs of a coming change.
 


I'm not pushing for a quick change but I do love the next page having read this book many times.


 

My favorite part of the stream...riffles...this set ran into a slightly deeper run. I started swinging the fly through every section of the riffle I thought held a fish. I had a good bump behind a rock and continued to fish it with several more casts. On one cast the fly moved through the head of the deeper run. Suddenly it stopped and as I lifted the rod I felt the weight. The trout started a run upstream into the riffles and put on a leaping show that would make salmo salar proud. I think it jumped 4 times. Then it turned and ran downstream into the deeper water. Eventually me and my bamboo rod got control and a glorious wild jewel was at hand.
 

I'm looking forward  to meeting up with this guy come October, bad knees hold on.
 

 

24 comments:

  1. Sometimes the size of the mouth on these brookies is surprising. I enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave H
      Thanks
      Dave they will take a big streamer, and those large hoppers to.

      Delete
  2. As always, Alan, your pictures and words are wonderful. I've seen the Mr. Rapidan soft hackle somewhere else: maybe Steve Bird's 'Soft Hackle Journal'. I tied some up a while back and the salmon up here love them. I tend to catch far more salmon than trout on the streams I fish; some streams, I've never caught a trout, period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike it's good to see you commenting again. Now you tell me of this fly. I can see salmon liking them they sort of have that caddis look to them and from my experience with landlocks they love caddis. Did i ever tell you of my outing on Mooselookmeguntic lake with caddis flies and landlocks?

      Delete
    2. I will listen to any story you'd care to share with us! Getting back on the horse, so to speak, has been hard; everything is a memory. Let's hear a Mooslook story!!

      Delete
    3. Back in the late 70's we would take family vacations to Rangeley. We would stay at a cabin in Haines landing. My brother in law and I worked out a deal with the marina owner which involved us using a Boston Whaler to fish the lake. The agreement was to use the boat from 6am and have it back by 9am, cost 10.00...with the kids that was all the time we had to fish. We would troll bugle cove to Farrington island. Many brook trout and landlocks taken on Mooselook wobblers. A Mainer who stayed at the campground told us of the good fishing to be had around Students Island. The next day we checked it out. A caddis hatch came off and the salmon were going nuts. The best day of salmon fishing ever for me in all the times I spent in Maine. The Rangeley river along with the upperdam also proved to be awesome fishing using elk hair caddis.
      Sometime I'll tell you of my salmon encounter at upperdam using a size 10 red and white bucktail.

      Delete
  3. It is great to see well fed fish and healthy flows of water at the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn a real bounty for sure, raining like heck here and more to come. Should be a great weekend on the streams.

      Delete
    2. That was quite a storm. Based on the flooded streams that I passed on the way to work this morning, it will be awhile before they will be fishable again. I am curious to see how much wood got moved around.

      Delete
    3. Shawn, you can bet there will be major changes in the little streams. I know of a couple of wood jams that I'll bet are no longer there. The fish will be moved around to.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful specimen of brook trout, Alan...we can see that she was hungry and she bit the hook quickly...luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando sometimes a small stream can give up a big brookie. A good morning for sure.

      Delete
  5. Great post, feel like I was there, creaky knees and all!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin oh those creaky knees. They feel pretty good today.
      I use to call it rock hopping now it's rock tripping.

      Delete
  6. G'Day Alan,
    Those brookies look like they've been grazing on a decent paddock. Beautiful looking fish and water.
    Creaky knees--maybe we should start a new fly fishing group--"The Creaky Knees Crew" or some such. I'm a definite candidate! I also dont rock hop anymore.
    Trout streams open tomorrow here in Victoria. We still have a 5km travel radius COVID restriction. I will fish the Badger just down the road. I'm fortunate to have that.
    Kindest Regards,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve
      Thanks
      "The Creaky Knees Crew" there you go mate. Sore knees happen at any age it's just when you get older it takes longer for them to get better.
      You are lucky to have that stream close to home. And if I recall from past posts it has given up some fine fish.
      Good luck.

      Delete
  7. Hi Alan. Been out of town and just now getting caught up. That bottom picture is a really nice Brookie. When I fished the creeks out here, I always fished the pools. I think I missed a lot by not fishing the riffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark riffles are food factories, don't overlook them.
      Keep and eye out for "roadwork"....

      Delete
  8. Alan
    Any fish that goes into a jumping spree after being hook can get a fly fisherman excited.
    Take care of those knees as long as you can----and the best way to do that is continue walking the banks of those beautiful streams you fish.
    P.S--Did you guys get any damage from Ida? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill brookies are not known for their jumping so when it happens it makes your day. The knees, Tylenol and rest a day or so and they are fine.
      Not much damage here but I registered 9 inches of rain.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos, Alan, of all you encountered on that day. That last brook trout is a beast. How old do you figure a brook trout that size is? That fellow has been swimming that stream for a good while.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam I guess him to be 3 years. That's a long time living in a small stream. They are remarkable creatures.

      Delete
  10. Alan,
    What a great post and what a remarkable brookie! Again, I am taken back by small waters and the large fish that inhabit them! This is classic example of Connecticut's awesome beauty!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug everyday on a small stream is truly a new adventure. We have had Ida's rains and believe my old streams are now my new streams...

      Delete