Sunday, August 15, 2021

Personality....

One of the many aspects of fly fishing is the way we as anglers view our passions. Some of us find that special fly rod be it bamboo, graphite or glass. Others find pleasure in the craftmanship of those well made fly boxes. That old vest that dad wore for so many years or the felt hat that was the talk of the group. The list can be astounding and to numerous to list here. I'm sure you all have something that is treasured in some way. I hope you'll share that treasure with us.

I have a soft spot for flies. I love tying them and of course fishing them. I feel that when I'm wrapping thread and winding hackle on a steel hook the fly when completed will be the one that will catch my dream fish. Each fly is a bit of art. They may look alike but are all different. They have a sort of personality and that personality is unique to that one particular fly.  That being said I also believe a fly should be photographed in a setting that  reflects how and where it is to be used.  In the photos below I try to show how the fly in it's rustic reality reflects true art.
 

 


 


 


 


 


 

Thank you Armando

 

Thank you Hans

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful flies, Alan. I love tying flies also. If the day comes where I can't fish any longer, I believe I will still tie flies.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      Sam fly tying is such a relaxing part of our sport. Those long winter nights are tempered when we sit at the vise.

      Delete
  2. Your talent for tying flies continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I appreciate your comment. It's pure enjoyment.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    Once you get the feel for that perfect flyrod/combo ----then are hooked for life on fly fishing!!
    Fantastic photo of the daisy/hackle fly pattern---not sure I got the flower name correct, but I may have created a name for the fly?? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill that feel you speak of is what got me hooked, happy happy.
      That's a bead head spider. I don't fish them often but they can be part of a good day when called upon.

      Delete
  4. Great photos (as always)! I don't often form strong attachments to equipment. The stream is always the main attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn I'm sure you have something in your possession that you would not part with.
      The stream and it's surroundings should be high on the list.

      Delete
  5. Alan, the 5th fly photo appears to be a Genesee Jewel. I use these occasionally here in WNY on the Genesee river.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave H
    Thanks
    Dave your right. Mark Libertone's classic Genesee Jewel. I fish it a lot in the spring early summer. Great fly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're riht Alan , we always love some amulet of our art and use it as a "rabbit's foot" ... from my father I have saved the needle to weave a fishing net, which he used back in the 60s fishing with his boat what he was very enthusiastic about .... beautiful topic on your blog today ... a hug ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Armando Milosevic
    Thanks
    Armando I as well as yourself think it's important we leave something like that to our children.
    Memories are so important.

    ReplyDelete