Wednesday, August 18, 2021

They're there....

Yes we are still fishing. The streams in Brook Trout Forest are doing fine and when the streams are fine so are the wild jewels who live in them. A couple of pools had several hungry brookies in them and while they did not take to the soft hackles they were presented they did have no objection to dry flies. It was quite amazing to see a brookie rise to take a dry fly and miss, but he continued to nip at it several times as it drifted downstream. These fish never cease to amaze me. They are the most predictable "unpredictable" of all fish I have ever pursued. Maybe that's why I'm still seeking them after all these years.
 

 

The water temps were just awesome. A combination of ample rain and cool weather prior to the heat has helped greatly. We will be graced by the rains from a tropical storm later this week. Good news for sure.
 

The brookies were healthy and feisty.
 

There are flowers blooming all over the forest. I love seeing this as much as I do bringing a brookie to hand...and that's the truth.
 

Even at the head of this pool in the fast water brookies tried to take the fly.
 

The minute the fly reached the calmer pool they were able to actually take the fly.

By now most of you have recognized the dry fly. If not then I ask why?
 


 The Ausable Bomber, aka "bomber"....The absolute best dry fly for wild trout in small streams ever created. Next time your in your fly shop ask for a couple and give them a try.

 

13 comments:

  1. We could use a little rain out here. All we've been getting is monsoonal moisture. A mixture of dry lightning which we don't need any more of, humidity, and water in the amount of about a cup out of every cloud. Most doesn't even hit the ground. Virga they call it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      The situation out there is sickening. As a kid in school I learned of a tactic called cloud seeding to make it rain. Is this something that has been considered?

      Delete
  2. Alan, do you still tie flies for sale? I'd be interested in some Bombers, Thanks, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jturick388
      Thanks
      John yes I do tie flies for sale. Please contact me at uppahdam@aol.com

      Delete
  3. Alan
    I knew it was the Bomber when I saw it the brook trout's mouth. Got to love it when trout are hitting dries!!! What I like about this fly aside from the takes is how easy it is to see on the water. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I knew you would pick out the bomber. If I recall you have had success on the Sipsey in Alabama. A fly that is very east to pick up on the water both for angler and trout.

      Delete
  4. Alan,
    As with all your other post and threads, absolutely beautiful! I too recognized "The Bomber"! As we all know, you love this pattern and it is not hard to understand why! The story behind this pattern is very intriguing! I have tuned in to Fran Betters on YouTube tying this and other patterns! Fascinating!
    From rainy Ohio,
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug I have said before that I don't think Fran ever realized just what a great pattern he created with the bomber. As for rain, it's coming in real waves here. I have already registered 3" in just a couple of hours. Hang on my finned friends.

      Delete
  5. It's fantastic to see streams in such great shape in the middle of August. The rain over the next few days should keep things looking good into September. I have been tying and fishing size 14 bombers. The fish like them, they float and are easy to see. Do you vary the size much with these flies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn I measure 4"plus on my deck. A good push for the last weeks of August. I feel that #14 bombers work the best. I have tried them in 16 and 12.

      Delete
  6. Alan, what size bomber do you use on these small streams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave H
      Thanks
      Dave I mostly use size 14's. When tying bombers on barbless hooks I use 12 and 10's because the hook shanks are shorter. Fran Betters almost entirely used a Mustad 9671 hook for the bomber as well as the Ausable Wulff. The 9671 hook has a long shank and is ideal for these flies.

      Delete
  7. Hi Alan

    We are 'North of the Border' on holiday this week and the final picture of your post reminded me to pack some Bombers for the wee Scottish Brownies on the Dye & Whiteadder Waters! The weather is wet today (Saturday) so hopefully by Monday (1st available fishing day) the streams will be in excellent condition and with temps in the 16 - 19 deg C bracket (61 - 66 deg F) I am looking forward to some sport on dry fly.

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete