Monday, November 15, 2021

Odities And Normalities....

Traveling down many back roads and trails in the course of life I have come across many strange, odd or somewhat "quirky" items. Over the years I have featured some of these within this blog as well as other forums and in my little book. Some of these places and things are quite rustic from rocking chairs weathered and broken to old pickup trucks. Rusted baby strollers and car bumpers. Numerous hand crafted bird houses that have seen countless families of birds. These hold so much charm and maybe some history. There is a company who uses these quirky rustic images in their advertising. It's a company that produces fine products. That company is "Fishpond"
 

 

The Fishpond San Juan Vertical Pack....my first pack was purchased 15 years ago when I gave up my vest. The pack is what some would call a minimalist pack, for me it has everything needed for how I fish. One large cargo pocket that hold one big fly box or two thinner fly boxes. It has zip storage for my survival tool, tippet spools, batteries, and some first aid stuff. There is a fly patch in the front portion of the pack which I removed and use the area for a camera cloth and a furled leader. It also holds a small fly box. The pack is strong and has taken beatings form rocks and those merciless briars. I wear it as a sling pack and overall it's very functional.
 

A 'fish pond' resident
 

Potato Pancakes...they're great for breakfast...
 

 

16 comments:

  1. A fine piece of kit, and hard wearing to boot. I also prefer clothing, tools and kit that threaten to outlast me, though that perhaps is not as difficult as it used to be!
    Reminds me also of one my father’s snippets of wisdom....”buy the best quality that you can afford, it will prove less expensive in the long term “

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John
      Thanks
      John it sounds as if your dad was right. One of the first things I applied to fly fishing is what your dad told you.

      Delete
  2. Random object story- on Saturday my wife, dog and I went on a scouting hike along a local brook. Along the trail in we came upon an old basketball hoop up on a pole that was set in concrete. Just standing there on a flat but overgrown area maybe 50’ off the trail. The nearest home is a mile away. It makes you wonder. Great post Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean F
      Thanks
      Dean yes it is a bit odd to find what you did. New England has some wild stuff in it's woods. Often along old stone walls I have found some glass bottles. They may have been medicine and it makes me think back to try and figure out what it was for.

      Delete
  3. I have a large assortment of ball caps that I've amassed over time. My wife wanted one for our camping trips. Out of all of them, she loves the Fishpond one. Fortunately, when they stole our previous trailer a few years back, her ball cap was in the front closet at home. She would have been devastated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark we latch on to certain objects in life and when they're gone it seems like a piece of us went with it. I'm glad Mrs. Kautz hat was spared. Fishpond has some nice lids.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alan

    Potato pancakes make a a great addition to any cooked breakfast. There is a hotel I stay at when I am up in Scotland with work that serve them as part of a "Full Scottish". They are wonderful and go well with their poached eggs and Stornoway Black Pudding.

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair now you did it. I'll have to research Black Pudding. Maybe some bangers and mashed for supper tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Black pudding is a type of blood sausage originating in Great Britain and Ireland. It is made from pork or beef blood, with pork fat or beef suet, and a cereal, usually oatmeal, oat groats or barley groats. Stornoway and Bury Black Puddings are two of the best ones.

      Delete
    3. Alistair thanks for the clarification Black Pudding. We have here a similar sausage called Kishka. It is like by many who hailed from eastern Europe.

      Delete
  5. That looks lime the perfect pack to carry just enough stuff. Beyond the ubiquitous remains of dams and mills on CT streams, I am always surprised by the remains of old rusting cars and trucks in what are now out of the way places far from any current road. Even though I hate the idea of people spoiling nature with trash, when the abandoned vehicle is old enough, I somehow find it amusing rather than infuriating. I have a collection of such old vehicle photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn folks back then seemed to hang onto stuff, even if they never used it. The amount of old useless dams on small streams in CT is a shame. If these dams were removed just imagine how much better the fishing would be.

      Delete
  6. I like Fishpond gear as well. I have one their sling packs and a very minimalist vest(the poor man's version of a Filson); I beat the hell out of both, and they hold their own. Alistair brought back a slightly painful memory of my first experience with Black pudding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike Filson "tin cloth" quality stuff. I know the Fishpond packs are tough and the zippers actually work. Black Pudding..now I know I have do some googling.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    I have been using my chest pack for years and couldn't make a fly fishing trip without it. I really like the front fly pack where I keep all my small flies that I use with my 3 wt fly rods. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the chest pack allows you the necessary items with out the clutter of a vest.

      Delete