Thursday, November 18, 2021

"Mutual Respect"

Many many times I have passed by a certain home on my way to fishing a stream in the area. The house is nothing special other than the fact there are always little quirky items about the front porch. These items have a seasonal look to them and I must say they are placed with care as to not be overwhelming. One other oddity is the fact that I have never seen anybody in or around this house and that had me wondering. Well yesterday I chose to stop and check things out. Upon driving in I noticed a dirt road just beyond the back yard of the house. I continued up the road noticing lots of other quirky things. There was fire wood stacked vertically instead of horizontally. And there in front of me was a big house. The area around it was in a natural state. It looked like it was lived in but I did not see a person. I got out of my car and walked around a bit looking and wondering. It was then that I heard a voice say "hello", I looked and could not see  anybody, again "hello"....suddenly there was a man standing in the yard. He approached me and asked what I was doing and I replied admiring what he had going. To keeps it short we introduced each other and he really opened up to me. I mean a great conversation for at least an hour. He told me the property was handed down to him from his grandparents who ran it as a small farm. Over the years he continued running as a farm but it had become difficult as of late. We continued to talk when he noticed the fly rod in my car. He asked if I fished and I told him of my exploits. He was quite interested and he surprised me with the fact that he had 300 feet of stream that ran on his property. Well I asked do you fish it and he said no....he said that he did not allow it. I did not press it but he came out and said he hated the fact that people would take a fish out of it's home and hang it on a stringer and display it.  In closing I agreed with him and did not press the issue...that is where this comes in...."mutual" a feeling or action experienced or done by each of two or more parties toward the other or others...

 

 

We ended our chat on a friendly note and I felt there was something we both had from the conversation. I said I like to stop by and talk again and he said he would enjoy that....and this is where this comes in,"respect"...a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities or achievements.
 

 

18 comments:

  1. Those type of encounters enrich our lives, but sadly are no longer the norm consider the current state of things.. Thank you for sharing.. Hopefully you are able to fish today. A 60 degree "heatwave" is forecasted.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seth
      Thanks
      Seth I hope to convince this man that not everyone who fishes hangs trout from a stringer. If nothing else he will have a better understanding of respectful catch and release. As for fishing today I may get out for a spell.

      Delete
  2. These encounters give us a good feeling, and sharing it with others like you have done, is good for all of us, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave H
      Thanks
      Dave they certainly do. And I have a feeling it gave this man a good feeling that not everyone is a fish sadist. I look forward to talking with him again.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine a better ambassador for our sport than you, Alan. Keep fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alan, trout are just to pretty to kill, fortunately Maine lobsters and steamers are quite ugly. A month ago I happened to be fishing a river that is home to wild trout. That morning I was unaware that the state had fall stocked it with rainbows the day before. After fishing there mostly without seeing another angler all summer now suddenly the place was suddenly overrun with catch and keepers. I caught and released 15 stocked bows that day, less than 3 weeks later I caught only 1 stocked fish after 2 days of fishing. I can understand why your new friend is fearful. I’m grateful that our wild trout don’t usually grow large enough to be considered a worthy meal. We can enjoy the sport of catching and releasing them 12 months a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean F
      Thanks
      Dean why state fish agencies continue to stock over wild trout is beyond me. There are enough rivers, lakes etc that are void of wild trout, stock those. One of the saving graces is the fact that wild trout are small. Now how about a bowl of those steamers with some butter.

      Delete
  5. Great story Alan. Nice when you meet someone that remote, that's friendly and doesn't have a shotgun in their hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark a shotgun in hand and a statement "we don't need your kind around here"...thankfully some good still is still with us.

      Delete
  6. It was nice to hear about your visit. I hope that you got out fishing this afternoon. The weather was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn I was out this morning and had one hookup. The stream is a good one but not for me today.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Bureboyblog
      Thanks
      I have had dealings with landowners in the past and they did not go so well. This was a good start and I hope to build on it.
      Would it be possible for you to give us your first name?

      Delete
  8. That is a nice story, Alan. Hopefully one day he will let you fish his stream knowing you release the trout.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam a follow up with this man may yield positive results. If not at least it will be a pleasant encounter. People that are willing to talk about subjects like these are a good start.

      Delete
  9. Take him some of that rye bread and slab bacon and you’ll be fishing 300 feet of untouched stream in no time! Great, human story, thanks for sharing some wise words about interacting with those whose views differ from your own.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin who can resist bacon? What I took away from this encounter was the fact he was so willing to listen. People who have different views and take time to listen and consider someone else's views is a rarity.

      Delete