Saturday, November 20, 2021

Polish Rye And Cracklin's

I was born and raised in a city named New Britain. It's located in central Connecticut. It was a city of 85,000 people and about as diverse a population found anywhere. A blue collar hard working city that had owned the title of the "hardware city of the world"...if it was a nail, hinge, ball bearings, fry pans, toasters belt buckles etc etc chances are it was made in New Britain. Companies like Stanley, Fafner, Corbin were very large companies that employed the bread winners of the city. It was also home to Beehive Field...home of the New Britain Red Sox the AA farm team of the Boston Red Sox...in later years it was home to the New Britain Rock Cats the AA farm team of the Minnesota Twins. Players like Roger Clemens, David Ortiz, Steve Lyons and many other major league players found playing time in Beehive.

Being in a home where my mom was Polish and dad Italian I was blessed with a diverse learning experience...and I loved it. New Britain is home to a very large Polish community. So much in fact that the President of Poland made sure to visit the city not long ago. There is a section of New Britain known as "little Poland"...Broad St. has markets, bakeries, clothing stores and many other business that are of Polish ownership. One of those bakeries as well as a Polish food store is the Roly Poly Bakery.

It is here that one can find anything Polish....check it out.
 

 

This morning while stopping in Roly poly to buy some rye bread with seeds. I also picked up some horns, which are a roll that has poppy seed and makes for a delicious breakfast. I remember as a kid after church on Sunday the family would gather at Ma's house for coffee and rolls.. Well this morning along with the bread I picked up some slab bacon.
 

Sliced and ready for the pan. You see the rind off to the left. You know why they call the rind cracklin's...just fry it and you'll see.
 

A fine breakfast thanks to the Roly Poly bakery....
 

 

20 comments:

  1. Do you know how many Polish jokes we told as kids only to find we're of Polish descent? Always thought I was German (Kautz right?). Genealogy has shown me that I'm descended from Riswata and Wesendorf Poland. My first inkling was when Great Aunt Gladys said her dad spoke Yiddish. That went right to the Polish Jews prior to WWI. Like you, I'm a light Sourdough kind of guy. Usually end up with Extra Sourdough New York Style when Corned Beef is in season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I know you like digging into your past, but to find out your Polish, with a German name wow. There are degrees of sourdough. I never knew that but I have tasted it in certain breads. My mom would make a pot roast with sour gravy, I'll admit I was not a fan. Now for some corned beef, rye bread and Polish mustard.

      Delete
  2. You and Mark can keep riffing on food and genealogy, it won't hurt my feelings one bit. Living on the edge of the frozen tundra, we don't have a lot of cultural diversity up here; Poutine and fried smelt qualifies as haute cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike I'll bet they make and serve pickled eggs in your tundra outpost. Pickled eggs and kielbasa and sauerkraut now that's something that will keep you warm.

      Delete
  3. That bacon looks heavenly, especially the crackling! Funny that you mention 'Little Poland' as the town where I was born in know sometimes as 'Little Warsaw' due to the large polish community. Though my ancestry can be trace to the north of England, back to America where the line picked up some native American genes and then further back to the north of England once and to a blacksmith with whom I share my middle name...funny how these genes travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John
      Thanks
      John is Little Warsaw located in the UK? Your lines are far reaching and must be filled with surprises.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, the town I was born is Wrexham, in North East Wales and I reside in the hills that overlook it. I think that the Polish connection stems from the second world war as there was a hospital near Wrexham that dealt with many Polish casualties, pilots I believe.

      Delete
    3. John
      That war displaced many. There are small towns in rural New Hampshire that had German POW camps. At wars end a lot of the German soldiers chose to remain there.

      Delete
  4. I definitely need to check out Roly Poly Bakery the next time I am driving that way. I hope that they have a good poppy seed roll (makowiec).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      They do...it's a store that has those nice things. pastry, cakes deli bakery. I go there about twice a week.

      Delete
  5. Hi Alan,

    I always keep back the skin from a pork loin, shoulder or good thick chops for extra roasting to make Crackling or Scratchings. This is despite the wife's protest, for although they are not much good for the heart and circulatory system, they are definitely good for the soul 😉.

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair we have to let some of the "not so good" food into our diet for that allows us to "smile"...Those textures are simply awesome.

      Delete
  6. That sure is some good eating, Alan. You are fortunate to be able to find such diverse and good food in your vicinity. This time of year especially, good food helps us through the "dark season".

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam it's good that these small shops continue. Many of the continuing with those old traditions. Soups are a comfort at this time of year and we have a "big" comfort holiday this week.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    You are the best at taste-a-vision----delicious looking meal!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill "taste-a-vision" I like that...

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Bureboyblog
      Thanks
      Bacon everyone can agree on the appeal of that pork delicacy...

      Delete