Tuesday, January 4, 2022

"Frenchman's" a vision from......

Located in the Upper Pininsula of Michigan there is a place know as Voelker's Pond....down a dirt and stone road one can see only forest. The trees are hemlock, birch and a smattering of maple. The road leads you to and underground fed pond. The water is cold and dark. It's bottom is so thick with dead vegetation and hemlock needles that to try and wade it would be a disaster. The pond is home to resident wild brook trout who have a way of turning a seasoned angler into an incoherent fumbling idiot. But to spend time here will give you a feeling of well being. Come join me for some time on this pond.
 

 

As he saw it, so did I...birch and hemlock every where.
 

The "pond"...a quiet autumn morning. Yes that is a blue jay squawking.
 

On the pond is a smattering of leaves. Autumn has given me some perfect natural camo. Just under the surface is a soft hackle fly moving it's whispy hackles. A brook trout looks at it's life like movement a moves for it.
 

The strike reveals the "ponds" boss.
 

Welcome to Voelker's Pond Connecticut version. For those who have read Voelker's Pond know what I speak of. The book has been an inspiration since I first read it many years ago.

The fly is the first one pictured in the book...a Royal Trude perhaps.
 

 

24 comments:

  1. Alan, that Brookie certainly looks like the boss of the pond. I look forward to your blog, it very enjoyable, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave h
      Thanks
      Dave those bigger guys do find their way down into the pond. Maybe it's better eats in there.

      Delete
  2. One would never think a Brookie that size would come out of that little pond. I learned years ago, fishing a little pond like that and catching a Bluegill that would make Bill Trussel envious, that you have to fish everything, no matter how big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark although I don't fish ponds very much I have been told many times that those little farm ponds will produce some monster fish like bass and bluegills.

      Delete
  3. You did a great job with your Connecticut version of Voelker's Pond! Wonderful post, Alan; thank you. I love reading Voelker; I think he enjoyed the writing of fishing as much as the fishing itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike Voelker could capture even the non reader. He was regular guy who loved writing.

      Delete
  4. What a fish from that dark water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      He was a special one....Shawn I'll bet that pond is ice covered now.

      Delete
  5. Coincidentally I have been reading Jim Harrison’s The Great Leader, which transports you to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, forests, wolves, bears and brook trout ponds like this. Great stuff Alan as always transporting us away.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin I wish I lived closer to the UP...I would be like a kid on Christmas morning. Not only the fishing but all of that folklore and history.

      Delete
  6. I always enjoyed reading Voelker - thanks for the Connecticut version. I have yet to find a similar pond in my neck of the woods but your pictures are exactly as I picture it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat he has a reputation of being one who knows how to use words.
      In the book there are pictures of the pond, and I found something close to it. I love the cabin too.

      Delete
  7. Alan,
    Good post
    Beautiful photos
    Great fish
    Humberto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achalabrookies
      Thanks
      Humberto Voelkers Pond is magical...

      Delete
  8. Ah Robert Traver my favorite author. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill he seems to be a favorite of many of us.
      Are you fishing?

      Delete
    2. Alan,
      We've had a tough cold snap but I'm going tomorrow looking for strays. I'll probably need snow boots. :-)

      Delete
    3. Alan,
      It was a great day weather and fishing.

      Delete
  9. Alan
    What a great place to explore and better yet to fish---beautiful brook trout taken-----thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill exploration of new fishing places has always been a pleasure. And here I've found a place where it's user friendly. I hope to fish this pond in the warmer months, I think there are also some nice bluegills nearby.

      Delete
  10. Alan, it is wonderful that our region still has places like that where brookies can thrive! Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete