Monday, January 19, 2015

"Nanuet"

"Nyack" or "Ray Bergman Yellow Label" Streamer Hooks
The other day I received a package in the mail. The envelope contained quite a few streamer hooks. A brief note stated they were hooks from Ray Bergman's fly shop in Nyack N.Y. Being unfamiliar with the type of hook I sent out a request to the "Streamer List" and received an answer from Chris Del Plato. His best answer was that the hooks were either "Nyack" or "Ray Bergman" brand and were an English made hook. Further research by me found a photo and description of "Nyack" hooks on Darren's "Streamers 365" site. The photo clearly shows the same hook as the one pictured in the first photo of this post.

So I took one of Bergmans hooks and tied a streamer. I named the streamer "Nanuet". The name was chosen from the town where the package was sent from along with the name of the sender. I'd like to contact the sender named Christopher and send him the streamer. So if he would be so kind to send me an email I'd appreciate it.


"Nanuet"


Hook, Nyack Streamer...Butt, Peacock...Body, Orange Yarn...Rib, Flat Silver Tinsel...Throat, Orange Hackle followed by Black Hackle...Wing, Two Orange Saddle Hackles, then Two Silver Badger Saddle Hackles...Shoulder, Golden Pheasant dyed Red...Cheeks, Jungle Cock.


Thanks for the hooks Christopher.



23 comments:

  1. Your flies are things of beauty Brk, if I ever get around to trying flyfishing this year I'd love to try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Wooldridge,
      Thanks.
      I hope you take up the passion.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    That streamer is downright too pretty to fish with; another great pattern from your bench. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      I thank you kindly Bill.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz,
      Thanks.
      I'm tossing a streamer about in my head in honor of the California Lahontan Cutthroat.

      Delete
  4. I agree with John, your fly tying skills are a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors in that steamer!!! I agree with above comments a work of art!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI,
      Thanks.
      Pete I do really appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. If you don't hear from Christopher, I'll send you my address. That's just outstanding tying Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett,
      Thanks.
      Now there's an offer. Thanks Howard.

      Delete
  7. My grandparents lived in Nanuet and my Dad grew up there until they moved further upstate when he was in high school. That area of Rockland County has always had a special place in my families history......and now there is a beautiful streamer to go with it. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      Chris it is a small world. I have never been to Nanuet or Nyack, although I've driven over the Tappan Zee heading west.

      Delete
  8. Justin Carfagnini,
    Thanks.
    I appreciate it Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Work of art. Only a few other things as pleasing to the eye as a well tied fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew LooknFishy,
      Thanks.
      I agree with you Drew. I admire any type of well tied fly.

      Delete
  10. That's a beautiful fly Alan...I'd have to frame that one and put it on the wall opposed to fishing it. It's pretty amazing what a guy with your talents can do with a few feathers and some thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate it Jeff.

      Delete
  11. Alan, that's beautifully tied. Too bad there aren't many thin blue lines in those towns for this streamer, but maybe it could find some use in nearby Harriman state park?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Klags,
    Thanks.
    I think if that fly were placed in a thin blue line the residents would swim along side of it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I was just practicing a random act of fly tying kindness and in return I will get a one of a kind Petrucci streamer named after my home town. Now that is priceless. I will proudly display this one for sure. No trout will come near it. This is one of the reasons that I love fly fishing...the wonderful people that you meet.

    Chris Ingrassia
    Nanuet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chris,
      Thanks.
      Hey buddy the streamer will go out in the next day or two.

      Delete